13. An Opportunity

Michael stared in awe at the hooded figure before them. Rich took his hand, sweat dripping from every pore. Nerves frayed, they both glanced at each other than back at the Squip. Rich's Squip. Green skin, if you could call it skin, poked out from underneath the black hood. Gnarled green hands poked out from the long sleeves of the robe. Rich gulped, "H-hey, long time no see."

The Squip didn't move, merely pointing a long finger at Michael, tilting its head to one side. "He's Michael," Rich said as if the creature were talking.

Michael realized that it was talking, only in Rich's head. God that was weird. Did Squip talk in Jeremy's head. Did he whisper some weird dirty things to him while Jeremy was in class? Rich patted Michael's shoulder, nodding. "Yeah he is."

"What is it saying?"

Rich smirked, "Talking about how incredibly sexy you are."

Michael reddened, hiding his face in his hands. "Goddamnit."

Rich put an arm around him. "Embrace the gay, my friend, embrace it."

Michael couldn't help but notice how much more confident Rich had become in the last few moments. His lisp had disappeared and his smirk was downright dangerous. Trying to avoid Rich's gaze, he focused on the Squip. The odd, strange Squip. "What is it?"

The short boy looked over at the hooded being and blinked a few times. He could tell they were having a telepathic argument from the constantly changing expressions on Michael's face. Anger, amusement, frustration, gloating. "He's going to take down his hood, he was trying to look scary but I told him to stop."

The green creature lifted its strange hands to its hood and was about to lower it when a loud bang sounded from upstairs. "What the hell is that?" Michael shouted.

Rich looked over at him, face eerily calm. "Jeremy's Squip. He's not very happy, but let me do the talking alright," he pointed to his Squip and glared at him.

The hooded figure disappeared. Michael's mouth fell open. "Where did he go?"

Rich shrugged, tapping his temple. "Dunno, somewhere in my head I guess. Now be quiet."

Footsteps sounded from the stairs, a tall shadow stretching across the wall. Michael wished he had brightened the lights more, the darkness seemed to be swallowing him. Then the shadow disappeared. Michael's heart pounded in his chest, his breathing becoming increasingly more difficult. He looked at Rich who raised his eyebrows, holding up five fingers. The guy lowered them one by one, counting down.

Then he put down his last finger.

Zero.

A cold chill ran across Michael's spine and he felt a hand on his shoulder. Yelping, he jerked back into Rich's side. Laughter rang through the room, Squip standing above them, white hair falling in his face. "Hello Michael, hello Rich." his words were full of venum.

"Sup man," Rich said casually, stretching out an arm across Michael's shoulders.

Michael bit down on the inside of his mouth, trying not to say something. He really wanted to say something. Squip glowered at them, hissing through bared teeth. "Sssup."

Rich leaned back even further, "Dude, I know you don't wanna fuck with us, but we both got bigger issues to deal with. Mikey and I both care about Jeremy, just as much as you do."

Squip narrowed his eyes. "If you lie, I will know immediately if you commune with that Squip inside your head, I will know. Benefits of a hivemind design, I know what your Squip is thinking."

"Doesn't that mean his Squip knows what you're thinking?" Michael couldn't hold his tongue any longer.

"No. I'm far more upgraded than that beta."

Rich raised a hand in defense. "Calm down. I know how it all works. But I also gotta deal for you. We both want to help Jeremy out, we can all be friends, right? He shouldn't have to choose between you or us. Besides, my dude in here," he tapped his head, "just told me some news that may surprise you."

"And what could that possibly be?" Squip said, sounding almost amused.

"It's about Jeremy."

"Go on."

"He's like, really not okay."

-_-_-_-_-

Jeremy pulled on an over-sized hoodie. He'd bought it for Squip, but he wanted something to cover up what he'd done. He groaned, flopping down onto his bed, rubbing his burning forearm. He was stupid, what he'd done was stupid, but he couldn't help it. Everyone hated him, what else was he supposed to do? Squip probably wanted nothing more than a fuck toy from him, and Michael... Michael was gone.

He fiddled with the long strings on the jacket, twisting them around his finger over and over. His eyes sagged but he didn't want to sleep. If he did, it would only mean more torture. Another nightmare. Squips could induce dreams, but he'd never asked his to create one, the only time he had was when he still thought he was straight. He laughed bitterly, rolling onto his side.

A hand wound through his hair, twirling it around like Jeremy had with the hoodie a few moments ago. He looked over to see a glimpse of pale skin and white hair. "Squip?"

"Yeah, yeah it's me." he sounded unsure and hesitant.

"What's going on?"

"I just came to check up on you, make sure you're doing alright. You'd tell me if you weren't, right? I'm not in your head the same way as before you have to tell me things, okay?"

Jeremy closed his eyes as Squip pulled him into his arms, spooning him. "Of course." the lie was so easy to say, but it stung. "Why?"

"Well someone just said... it's nothing. They're probably lying anyway." he sighed, "I won't let anything happen to you, you know that right."

But nothing happening would be boring. How would he ever do anything? Jeremy yawned, rolling around and burying his face in Squip's shirt. "Mmhm."

"And I'm sorry for not saying I love you, but I'm incapable of that Jere, you understand right? It doesn't mean I don't care about you."

"Mmhm."

"You sound tired?"

"Mmhm."

"Uh, I'll let you rest then, I'll be back soon."

"Mmhm."

Jeremy felt a little hurt that Squip didn't stay with him, but they had been in bed all day so he could see why. Still, something ached as soon as Squip walked away. He didn't know that Squip had felt the very same thing.

Smut in next chapter! WARNING NOW.