11%

- A N N A B E L -

It was 2 days after the incident with Alex, and I was pushing Dean's shopping trolley down an aisle in Walmart filled with toilet paper and cereal. Dean had gone off talking to some lady he knew from somewhere about something, so I was left to freely browse the store, "to my hearts content". Such fun. I yawned, and turned down onto an aisle of freezers stocked with ice pops, before accidentally crashing my trolley into the person in front of me.

"Oh, crap! I'm so sorry, I-" looking up, my heart started beating faster. "Alex?"

I hadn't planned on seeing anyone today, so I had gone barefaced and shoved my hair into a messy bun, and put on a pair of sweatpants and my Captain America top. Suddenly, I felt extremely selfconcious of my current appearance.

"Annabel! Hey, what are you doing here?" Alex beamed at me, clearly in a happy mood.

"You know," I laughed awkwardly. "Just buying toilet roll and cereal. The usual essentials."

He smiled and gave me a nod, his eyes flicking fleetingly to the trolley. "Actually, I'm glad I caught you today. I was wondering if maybe we could exchange numbers?" Alex looked down at me, his eyes practically twinkling.

"I, uh, yeah sure, do you have a pen?" For a moment he searched himself for one until pulling a silver ballpoint pen out of his jean pocket and handing it to me. I proceeded to write it on his hand, and the connection between our skin sent a sudden shiver down my spine. Shen I'd first crashed my trolley into him, I was worried I'd come off too overprotective of myself, but I could feel myself easing up around him. The kiss on the cheek must've just been a mistake, I should've forgotten about it.

"There you go." I offered him a small smile.

"Thanks, Annie." He winked. Winked.

"Annabel." I corrected, raising an eyebrow.

Alex pouted. "But Annie is cute."

"you don't have enough privilege to call me Annie yet." I scoffed jokily.

He cursed and sighed, shaking his head with faux upset. "Damn, a challenge. Well, challenge accepted!" Alex held his hand out to me, and I couldn't hold back myself from smiling.

"Sure. You're so lame, I don't see how all the girls in the school are falling at your feet, to be honest." Now that I'd fully eased up around him, there was no stopping me. It seemed nearly as simple as being around Harriet. "Like, you're not even that attractive." What a lie, I thought. Crossing my arms, I smirked back at him, causing him to mock looking offended and hold his hand to his mouth.

"How very dare you, Miss Wavefield."

"Annabel!" called Dean, coming up behind me. "Time to go."

"I'll see you in class tomorrow." Alex grinned, backing up down the aisle. "Geography, first period!" he called after me as I pushed the trolley in the opposite direction, looking back.

"Can't wait!" I shouted back, truthfully.

10 minutes after we left the store and were in the car home, I received a text.

-

from: unknown number
to: Annabel
| 3:45pm |

guess who

from: Annabel
to: unknown number
| 3:46pm |

Obama

from: unknown number
to: Annabel
| 3:48pm |

hint: your favourite person

from: Annabel
to: unknown number
| 3:48pm |

....still coming up Obama?

from: unknown number
to: Annabel
| 3:50pm |

2nd favourite?

from: Annabel
to: unknown number
| 3:51pm |

oh well that'd have to be... Emma Watson

from: unknown number
to: Annabel
| 3:53pm |

okay third hint: we just saw each other

from: Annabel
to: unknown number
| 3:54pm |

oh I wonder who this could be... *sarcasm* why are u texting me already Gaskarth?!

from: Alex
to: Annabel
| 3:56pm |

I got lonely :-( my band are all out on dates or smth #foreveralone

from: Annabel
to: Alex
| 3:56pm |

got that right

from: Alex
to: Annabel
| 3:59pm |

WTF UR SUPPOSED TO SUPPORT ME

from: Annabel
to: Alex
| 4:01pm |

go buy a cactus or something

-

"Hey sweet pea, who's got you grinning so much?" chuckled Dean as we drove through town.

"Oh," caught off guard, I laughed it off. I hadn't noticed I was showing my emotions so clearly on my sleeve. "Nothing. Just my friend."

"That cute boy back there?" he gave me a quick wink and chortled to himself again. "What's his name?"

"Alex." I answered, not bothering to pretend it were someone else.

"You should invite him over for tea, honey!" Dean said excitedly. "I could bake my infamous ravioli and red velvet cake for dessert. He would die. The way to anyone's heart: food. Good food."

Laughing casually, I rolled my eyes and fiddled with my thumbs. A clear sign of anxiety. "I'm not trying to get to his heart Dean, we're just friends."

With a dismissive outburst of a laugh, he sighed, "Okay, Annabel, okay. But you two would be very cute together. I'm only sayin'. He's quite attractive too! If I were 20 years younger-"

"STOP, STOP, STOP." I shouted, trying not to laugh. The car stopped at the traffic lights, and Dean used the time to lean over and kiss me on the cheek.

-

okay I think they are cute

I'm sorry if this is v bad