Prologue

The moment Enoshima jumped on top of the desk, waving her hand as if she was just boarding a plane, he already looked away, his face twisted in discomfort as the large screen showed a text in big, bold letters,

The Ultimate Punishment

Similarly to his action, Kyoko glanced at him, and the two of them shared a look as they heard the loud sound of the machines groaning. He winced at Enoshima's loud cackle and at the sound of motor engine, the same motor used for Mondo's execution.

"Is everything alright? " he felt Kyoko's hand at his shoulder, squeezing it softly as he grimaced. "The sound of those machines...I hate it. "

Kyoko nodded, her eyes returning to the havoc happening before her for a split second then she looked back at him again, her hand on his shoulder tightening for a brief moment. "I know. But that sound of machine indicates that we won. " she sighs, her
posture showing great relief.

"Looks like I owe you one again this time, Makoto-kun. "

He turned away from her teasing look, focusing on the final spectacle Enoshima shows. This time, he felt himself shudder when he noticed the familiar classroom setting, and that familiar chair she was currently using. Well of course, he would knew what she was supposedly feeling now because just a few hours ago, he was the one sitting on that chair. But that wasn't just the scariest part. At the end of the classroom, a large crusher was slowly stomping away, the creaks and groans of the machine operating behind it grating his ears.

Miraculously, she was still grinning wildly, a crown sitting crookedly on her head as she shifted her head from side to side, synced with the loud thump of the crusher behind her as she wrapped her arms around a monokuma stuffed toy.

Near the end however, she lifts her left hand, her fingers showing the peace sign as the crusher hovers in the air. Her closed eyes opened and for a split second, they exchanged look, then her eyes glanced briefly upwards just as the crusher rushed towards her. He looked away, hands clenched tightly as blood splattered everywhere, making him gulp.

He glanced at Kyoko, wondering if he was the only one whom saw it but she was cradling Asahina on her arms with a rare smile on her face. Togami was trying to pry Toko's hand on his arm while Yasuhiro was cheering from the background. None of them was even bothered by Enoshima's death.

But despite the joy he was feeling, a cold chill ran down his spine remembering Junko Enoshima's smile at end, and how she easily accepted her execution. Somehow, he knew that her death is a catalyst of something more sinister.

---

After the mastermind's ultimate execution, Togami took the honor of walking near Monokuma's throne, picking up a remote with a single, red button in the middle. Without a word, he passed it to Makoto, before returning back on his spot with his eyebrows furrowed.

"S-so..." Asahina started, breaking the silent atmosphere between them. "Can we leave this place already? It was giving me the chills..."

"I-i know right, " Yasuhiro stammered, eyes glancing from left to right. "T-this place felt like it was haunted! I suggest we leave this place immediately! " They didn't even try to contradict what he said because all of them knew what he meant. Staying in this place was giving him the chills.

They shuffled along the elevator, Kyoko pressing the button as the iron gate closed before them. Just as it started descending , he managed to take a final look on the crusher that killed Junko Enoshima. He could clearly remember her wide grin, then the way she met his eyes just before she died.

And her expression before she was crushed...

He closed his eyes, trying to shook away the chill he was feeling since her death.