4 : Danger Lurks Ahead

Before Izuru Kamukura, he was Hajime Hinata, a simple highschool student with an average life but aiming for an impossible goal.

All his life, he dreams about entering Hope's Peak Academy, the most famous school for students with extraordinary skills and talents. He foolishly believes that in order to be acknowledged by the society, you need to graduate as a student from that prestigious academy.

He fought tooth and nails in order to excel on something that would catch the talent scouter's attention, tried his luck many many times, but just as everyone around him says behind his back, he was just a hopeless guy chasing an impossible dream.

But the more everyone says its impossible, the more possible it can become, right? He was ecstatic at the news that the Academy would create another branch school for people like him that hopes to step inside the famous school.

The tuition was quite high, but with the help of his parents, they managed to enroll him. Even though he can hear his father's angered rants about their large debts, his mother's gentle reassurance that everything would be fine, he persevered. He promised to himself that he would succeed in his life.

But of course, nothing in his life plays along with his expectations. 

He discovered on his very first day the horrible truth about the so-called branch school. Sure, with the help of money, technically, he is a student of Hope Peak's Academy. But stepping inside the gates would instantly divide them from the 'original'.

The Main Course Students and the Reserve Course Students.

The Main Course student consists of the Ultimate Students, those gifted individuals with extraordinary talents. The hope of the future, the icing on the cake. They are the treasures of the school and they are treated as one.

Then the Reserve Course students.

Like how their professors explained it, they are the 'reserve' students, the stepping stones for the Ultimate students. They exists solely for the purpose of serving the Main students, and he loathed it to the very core of his mind.

He can only watch as his classmates faced humiliation and comparison to the Main Course students. He could only nod to their commands, be a faithful servant to them.

He was free, but it was as if an invisible chain was wrapped around his neck whenever he encounters an Ultimate student.

'No talking back against an Ultimate. '

'Do not engage a conversation with an Ultimate, only if they initiated it. '

'Try your very best to satisfy their wishes. '

All their rules was focused on the behalf of those Ultimate Students that he can't even fight back. And he already tasted what fighting back against the rules. He knew how dirty and how unfair the regulations were.
He could only resist, but he can't continue fighting forever.

In the end, he accepted their cruel fate. He can't even share his experiences to his parents because of their sacrifices.
He would endure for the sake of his loved ones. He promised to himself that he would overcome whatever obstacles he may face while he is still a Reserve students, even if he has to degrade himself by swallowing down his pride.

And one day, it suddenly changed.

That fateful day that triggers the beginning of the permanent change in his life.