I

Mutni had gone to bed. I should have been asleep too, yet there was something in the chill night air that night, chasing my weariness away. I stood atop the house, gazing at the river below from the rooftop garden. There was silence. I was alone, my father hidden away in his office, and the few servants were out of sight in the kitchen below.

I heard the quiet movement of the water before the boat slid into view. The oars sliced through the black water, perfectly in sync. My eyes narrowed beneath a furrowed brow as the craft steered toward our home. Visitors were a rarity by day, and unheard of after dark.

The boat was small, cutting through the river swiftly. It landed directly below me. On the deck curtains parted and a hooded figure floated forward. Moonlight glinted off the figure's wrist, revealing many fine gold bracelets—the first non-discrete thing about the visitor's arrival. Servants hurried from the craft, steadying it for their master as the hooded figure stepped onto land.

A shout rang from the kitchens as our handful of servants scurried to the docks, noticing the new arrival. I saw my nurse, Merit, hurry to bow before the figure. I leaned further over the edge of the terrace hoping to catch a glimpse of our guest that our servants clearly recognized. With only a nod, the figure brushed by the kneeling servants and disappeared from my sight into the house.

I held my breath, straining to hear some clue that might betray this visitor's identity. Only the toads' nightly whispers and the soft slap of servant's sandals met my ears.

My eyes flickered to the painted wall of the garden behind me. Whoever had come must not have meant us harm, for the deity guarding our home remained at rest in her shrine. The minor river goddess would protect our home—unless someone more powerful had come.

Curiosity took hold of my small frame, and I crept into the house. Though the stairs were dark, a lamplight flickered in the room below. A strange new voice broke the silence.

"Ay."

She pronounced my father's name with such familiarity that I paused in my descent.

"Welcome, sister."

I gasped at his response, hurrying to see this woman I had never known of.

I peered around the corner as the dark hood fell from her head. As my eyes landed on the woman I froze, spellbound.

Her black hair hung heavy with beads that brushed against the graceful nape of her neck. A gown of shimmering cloth hugged her curved figure and fell from the swell of her hips in delicate pleats. Her arms were heavy with bracelets and from her neck hung many more fine jewels, glinting blue and indigo in the lamplight. Her ears boasted two heavy ankhs, the symbol of life and love. Everything about her commanded attention. Her poise was otherworldly.

Beneath her vibrant teal painted eyelids shone two dark eyes that were fixed squarely on me, waiting for me to finish drinking in her extravagant appearance. The corner of her full lips curved up almost imperceptibly.

I was speechless.

The most dazzling person to ever exist stood in my home, and I was completely dumb-founded.

"You are every bit as pretty as I knew you would be," she spoke to me with a resonant and melodic voice, her eyes shifting to my father afterwards as if her words had been a gift offered to him. My eyes went to my father too, searching for some sign of how I should respond.

He simply waited for his sister to continue, unfazed by her impressive looks.

"We have not met before, niece, but I always knew we would." Her eyes twinkled as she continued, "I am your father's sister. My name is Queen Tiye."