III

Father's brief absences became more frequent as the months stretched into years. Tey spent more time fussing about our linens, and our dinners became more lavish. Mutni delighted in the gifts father brought back. Merit had cut the plaited child's lock from my head, and my dark hair now brushed against my shoulders when a stray breeze floated through the garden.

Again, the faint sound of oars in the distance drew me to the edge of the garden overlooking the river. Since Tiye's visit I had developed an interest in nearly ever passing craft below. The familiar reed boat floated forward on the water alight with the colours of sunset. Father was home. I watched as the boat neared the landing. A few of the servants appeared below, waiting to greet my father and unload whatever he brought back to us. I lingered in the garden—I knew there would be several moments yet before the boat landed. I saw Mutni poke her head out of the house to survey the scene, eager not to miss any excitement. She bobbed about below, playing with the cats as she waited for our father. Tey would no doubt be straightening her linen dress and fixing the line of kohl from the smudging of a day's sweat. Merit was busy preparing the evening meal, and no doubt wouldn't be bothered to stop for a quick greeting.

Finally, when the boat was drawing near, I headed out to join the reception waiting below. With now practiced hands, the servants made contact with the dock, hoped ashore and began tying the reed boat to the in place. My father stood patiently, a neutral expression on his face. I was unable to glean even the slightest hint of how his trip had gone.

With the boat secured, he stepped back onto solid ground. Mutni's arms were around him in an instant. He smiled at her and his postured softened slightly. I waited several steps back, until Mutni had released him and was content to trail behind him as he moved into the house. He stopped to wrap me in an arm, and I felt his cheek rest against my head for a moment before he walked inside.

From the boat, two servants were unloading a trunk with my father's things, and another trunk that was sure to hold some type of gift—the required token of appreciation or seal of a discussed deal from a meeting with a fellow noble. I followed my father and sister inside to where Tey would be waiting.

As anticipated, she stood in the room with her kohl neat and her jewellery glinting.

"Welcome home, Ay. I trust that your journey was smooth and I hope that your visit was pleasant. I thank the goddess for you safe return," Tey greeted father so formally.

She had not mentioned which goddess she thanked, but I wondered if she considered that it was Isis who had asked that father take up travelling, and that she would not need to be thanked for a safe return if father had no need to leave.

"Thank you, Tey. I am glad to be back in your company," he took hold of one of her hands and gave it a squeeze before he headed to his office with urgency. The casual gesture made it clear that my father cared for Tey, even though his mind was racing elsewhere at the moment. This was his usual routine: a letter would come in, father would spend a day writing other letters in response, a few days would pass, another letter would come in return, father would pack his things and head down the river, he would be gone a few days, he would return home and head right to his study to ready more letters to send out. It was now what was expected.

Father would emerge from his study about an hour or so later, and Merit would have supper ready for precisely that moment. I could smell the fragrant dishes now, as they were cooking in the nearby kitchen. Tey returned to her weaving while we waited for father to finish with his letters.

Two seasoned servants, User and Djau, brought in the trunks from the boat before they headed toward the kitchen where they could get refreshments after their long day of rowing, and then make their way to the servants' quarters to rest.