Chapter 1

A small light brown haired girl, around six years old, stood looking out at the street from the porch of the orphanage. Suddenly she saw a boy, around her age, in the middle of the street.

She was puzzled. He wasn't there a second ago! She thought. She ran down the stairs and to the edge of the road. "Excuse me!" She shouted to the black- haired boy. "You shouldn't stand in the street; it's dangerous!"

The boy turned around. His eyes were blood red and he had black markings across his face that seemed to undulate in the light. The girl was unfazed, just worried about the safety of the boy. She took a step into the street. "Please," she said. "You can come play with me if your parents aren't around! I don't have parents either." She smiled and took another step into the road.

There was a rumbling beneath her feet and the girl looked up to see a car speeding toward the boy. She panicked and rushed toward him, trying to push him out of the way of the oncoming vehicle. She tackled him to the ground out of the way and braced herself for the impact of the car against her small body. But it didn't come. She opened her eyes slowly and was met with red ones, staring confusedly at her.

"Are you ok?" She asked worriedly, unconcerned about her own safety. She realized she was pinning him to the ground and scrambled off of him. She bumped into a solid structure behind her, and turned around to see the car that had been speeding at them. It was completely wrecked, as if it had run head first into a wall.

The driver scrambled out, disoriented and bleeding heavily from his head. Before the girl had time to react, the boy grabbed her hand and ran into the forest on the other side of the street. When they stopped the girl started crying.

"That man!" she cried.
"He needs help!" The boy, confused by his sudden onset of emotions, struggled to comfort her. He had killed countless before for amusement, but had never saved someone like he had just saved her. He wondered why. He had been looking for entertainment when he came across this particular girl. Originally he had planned to kill her with the car, but something about her sparkling eyes and pretty smile made him change his mind in the last minute. She wasn't fazed by his looks at all.

She had even invited him to play with her. He wondered why a warm feeling was spreading in his chest.
"Um, it's fine, the driver is fine," he. muttered. "He'll get help soon..." He tilted her head up and his eyes glowed as he tried to hypnotize her into forgetting the injured man. But it had no effect.

The boy was stunned. No one was immune to his powers. He was the Devil's son! He waved his hand absentmindedly, causing the now out of sight car and the man to disappear. He chose a random place to drop them, he didn't really care where. "Come on," he said, grabbing the girl's hand once again. "I bet they already came and got him." They hurried back to the road and sure enough, much to the girl's surprise and delight, they were gone. "They did get help!" she exclaimed happily. She looked back at the boy and smiled. "I'm so glad
everything is ok!"The boy felt his cheeks get hot and looked at the ground. Why was she so pretty? He had never thought of anything as "pretty" before.
"Where are your parents?" The girl asked. "I bet they are worried about you."
"They aren't," he replied. "I left them..." Because I was bored of torturing beings in Hell. He added in his head. He guessed such a sweet girl wouldn't take very kindly to that kind of reason.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she replied, saddened. Suddenly her face lit up with an idea. "You can come back to the orphanage with me! Then we can play!" She grabbed his hand and led him across the street. He quickly used glamour to normalize his appearance. "My name is Elena, by the way!" She said.
"Park jimin," he replied.

***
Elena stood in front of the orphanage mother holding Jimin's hand. "Madam Maria, this is Jimin. He would like to stay at the orphanage. I know there isn't much room, but I'd be happy to share my space with him!" Jimin barely acknowledged the woman in front of him, instead staring at their intertwined hands and enjoying the feel of his skin against hers.