Chapter 3

Elena swept her long light brown hair into a bun, grabbed her bookbag, and ran out the door of her apartment. She carefully but quickly navigated the stairs, jumping over the ones that had completely collapsed, leaving large gaps behind. She didn't mind though. This abandoned apartment building had been her savior when she turned 14, the age when the orphanage turned the unwanted children out on their own. She had been successfully living there for almost three years now, despite the lack of electricity and running water. There was also the constant fear of waking up to the sounds of wrecking balls crashing into her room, but she tended not to dwell on that too much. But right now she had more pressing things to worry about. If she didn't run, she'd be late for school for the fifth time in two months. If she were late this fifth time, she'd have to stay after school in detention, and she couldn't afford to miss her work shift. Her dinner depended on it She blazed down the street toward the school yard. Walking it took her a half hour to get there. If she just kept running, she might be able to make it in 20. She was getting tired and shut her eyes while running, willing her legs to keep going.

At that very moment, her foot hit the curb and her eyes flew open as the ground rapidly approached her face. Suddenly, a strong arm wrapped around her waist and lifted her up.
"You ok?" A smooth yet deep voice asked. "Yes, I'm so sorry." She bowed her head to the stranger, staring at his shoes. "Thank you for saving me but I really must go. I'm going to be terribly late..." Her voice trailed off as she looked up at her savior. He was tall and well built, with a mop of messy black hair on his head and pitch black eyes that she swore almost gleamed red in the sunlight. She blinked and looked in his eyes again. The red was gone. The most surprising thing about this stranger was that he was wearing the exact same school uniform as she was. "Oh!" She exclaimed."I guess we're both late then." She smiled and grabbed his hand without a second thought.

"Come on! If we run we might make it!" The boy blushed furiously when she took his hand. It had been so long since he'd been able to touch her...and it felt so good. He hadn't planned on revealing himself to her yet, but there was no way he would have let her fall. She was so fucking beautiful... It made his breath hitch and every part of his being wanted to sweep her up in his arms and carry her away where no one else could lay their eyes on her. He'd been able to do a pretty good job of keeping others away while he was imprisoned, but now that she was right in front of him...He smiled. No one would be able to touch her again.

"What class are you in?" Her melodic voice snapped him out of his daydream as they approached the school."1C" he replied dazedly. Her voice was like liquid honey and silver bells mixed together. "That's my class too!" A confused expression crossed her face. How come she hadn't recognized him? As if reading her mind he immediately said, "I'm a new transfer student. Thank goodness I ran into you or I'd be really lost." He smiled at her as they slowed to a walk and entered theschool. She took her hand out of his and brushed a bit of hair behind her ear.

The sensation of her touch leaving him was excruciating, but he couldn't afford to freak her out by refusing to lether hand go. She didn't remember anything, and he hadn't been able to figure out how to unlock
her memories yet.

They arrived at 1C and the girl looked down at the floor in defeat. "I'm sorry, even though we ran we are still late.
I'll tell the teacher it's my fault, so don't worry, ok?" She smiled up at him. She was still the same sweet girl he had been forced to leave all those years ago...
He patted her on the head. "Nah, leave it to me," he said as he opened the door. The teacher stopped his lecture and looked sternly at them.
"miss Daves . You are late again. That's the fifth time, so detention this afternoon."

elena hung her head sadly. "Yes sir," she said as she walked toward her seat. "And you must be park jimin , the transfer, correct?" The dark haired boy nodded and stepped to the front of the class. He had considered making the teacher let elena off easy, but he figured he could pull some strings during detention so that he and Elena could spend more time together. "There's an empty desk next to miss daves. Joseph must be sick today. Or late." The teacher went to send a dirty look at elena, but jimin flicked his hand and the teacher's head snapped away from her. A glazed look overtook the teacher's face. "Sit there for today, Jimin. And miss Daves-"
Elena looked up at the teacher, still obviously distressed about her tardiness.
"-Share your books with Jimin until he gets his own."
"Yes sir," she said and smiled at Jimin.
Jimin smirked to himself. Humans are so easy to control. He thought to himself as he sat next to Elena, sending a silent, sarcastic thank you to Joseph, who he had disposed of earlier that morning.