Chapter 5

I have to stop doing this...but I'm falling in love with him...but he's not serious...but he calls me his everything...

Your fingers ran through his hair, pulling it slightly as he sucked on your neck. His living room couch started to become apart of your daily routine after his football practices. His parents never seemed to be home lately, which made make out sessions so much easier. You told your mom that you were doing homework, which is how it always started. He was the only person who you allowed to see your body, but when it came to having sex, you always told him you weren't ready. You were on the verge of being 17 and you were always concerned that sex would change everything. He finally let up from your neck to move on to your chest, where he always left the biggest hickies. You patted his back and he lifted his head from your cleavage, "wassup?"
"Need some water. It's so hot."
"Wouldn't be so hot if you'd get naked."
"I bet you'd like that huh."
He started to get up to grab the water as you straightened yourself up.
"What's there to eat?"
He laughed as he passed you the water, "you know they assume I'm going to eat at your house. You want to order in?"
You shook your head and sighed, "why don't we go out. We haven't gone to the diner in the longest time."
He smirked at you and sighed, "just wanna show me off in public."
"Not much to show off loser." He started to tickle you before handing you your shirt from the floor, "fine. We can go out. But this is not a date."
"Sure. Last one to the car is paying!"
You made a dash to his Altima, a cheap one that he saved up for as a birthday gift to himself. His parents hated the car, but it was the best thing that happened to you both.

He got to the car and rolled his eyes as he shook his head at you, "I let you win."

Once you got to the diner, you noticed the regular crowd of jocks and cheerleaders were there. The act had to commence since they were there. You had to act like you and Chanyeol were just friends so people would stay out of your business. Well, that's how he put it. You knew in your heart he just wanted to keep his playboy appeal so girls would think they had a chance with him. One thing that seemed to change was his team's acceptance of you. They didn't mind when you were around like the cheerleaders did.

You both grabbed a seat at the booth with his team, sitting between him and his friend Jongdae (JD).
"You want some fries?" JD moved the basket in front of you and you smiled, "you know I can't resist potatoes." He smiled at you and couldn't stop staring. Chanyeol looked over at him then you with a straight face, "I'm going to go order. You want anything?"
"Yea just get me what you're getting Chan." As he stepped off, JD took the opportunity to talk to you candidly.
"So you two grew up together?"
"Yea I met him in elementary school."
"He's really lucky to have a friend as beautiful as you."
You adjusted your glasses as you smiled shyly, "you think I'm beautiful?"
"I'd be stupid not to."
As Chanyeol came back with the food, you kept smiling, making Chanyeol cock his brow. He pushed the fries back in JD's direction and put on a fake smile, "she's good now."
JD laughed and shook his head, "You and your little temper gonna get you in some trouble one of these days."
"That's ok. I only fight dudes that are my size. You're safe."
You looked over at Chanyeol and shook your head, "you always tell me to make friends and get snippy when I do. JD, he's always had trouble sharing me."
You both began to laugh as Chanyeol turned completely red. You could see him getting more jealous the more you talked to JD, and it felt like poetic justice. All this time he flirted with the girls that hated you, this payback felt sweet.

A few weeks later, you all returned to school from winter break and the valentine's day dance was approaching. You walked to your locker to grab your art supplies and found an envelope taped on your locker door with a rose. As you opened it, little candy hearts fell out, along with a note:

Roses are red
So is me
Instead of skipping the dance
Go with JD...

You burst out laughing as you notice him walk over from hiding behind the other row of lockers, "so...what do you think?"
"I think you need a better grammar teacher." He softly nudges you and gives you a bright smile, "cmon, let me take you."
You start to think and give him a pondering face, "hmmm...can I let you know before the end of the day?"
"How about you tell me tonight at dinner...I can pick you up around 7."
You were shocked at how determined he was to take you out. You were so used to being ignored or bullied that having someone genuinely interested in you felt odd. You nodded at his request and smiled, "I'll text you my address."
As he walked off, Chanyeol approached with a stoic face. You grabbed your art supplies and started to walk past him to go to the studio. He turned around to follow you and closed the door once you both arrived, "what was that about?"
You gave him a heavy sigh, "JD asked me to the dance and on a date tonight."
He folded his arms and huffed, "what about us?"
"What us!? I'm your makeout partner at best."
"You know what we have. Why do you need anyone else?"
"I would like to feel like I'm wanted and not a secret all the time."
"Are you really going to go with him?" He stepped up to you and started caressing your arm slowly, making eye contact with you as he stared down. He knew your weakness and he was using it against you. He started to whisper, "We always go to the dances together. Why do we have to change that?"
You bite the side of your lip and turn away from his gaze, "I'm going out with him tonight. I don't know if I'll go to the dance with him."
He sucked his teeth and walked towards the door, "Fine. Break my heart."

That night, you decided to wear some skinny jeans and a fitted black tee shirt to show off your curves. You didn't want to dress up completely, but you wanted to show off your body. You threw on a cardigan and your wool coat before coming outside to meet him. You noticed Chanyeol waiting on his porch as you came out, "Seriously Chan?"
"I'm just playing my guitar."
"Chan it's 40 degrees outside."
"I'm fine."
JD pulled up in his SUV and helped you get in. Your eyes lingered back to watch Chanyeol watch you leave with him.

While at the diner, your mind couldn't focus on the conversation that Jongdae was trying to have with you because your mind was fogged with memories. You couldn't feel anything but guilt for going on this date but at the same time, Chanyeol dated while having a crush on you. Did he feel this same pit in his gut?
"So what inspires your art? I've been a silent fan for a while?"
"Huh? You've been a fan?"
"Yea after you won that contest, I started following your Instagram. It's like your telling a story without words."
You nodded, "I am. I just don't know how it's going to end."
"I really like it. I wish I would have approached you sooner. I was just too shy."
"You? Shy? I can't imagine that JD. I'm the shy one."
"Well you are pretty shy. But we all just thought it was because you were dating Chan."
"No he's just my best friend."
"But it's more than just friendship. I can tell."
"What do you mean?"
"Anytime you talk to anyone else, it's like someone taking his favorite toy. He becomes a brat when it comes to you."
You bite the side of your lip and start to become flustered, "he can be bratty at times. It's just that he doesn't want anyone to hurt me."
"I wouldn't hurt you."
You started to smile and he went to grab your hand, "go to the dance with me."
You exhaled and smiled, "ok."

Once the school year was close to coming to an end, you and JD decided to become an official couple. You had been dating since the dance and Chanyeol become more distant the more you hung out with JD. He would still watch you from his porch whenever JD would pick you up for school or take you out on dates. The gut feeling you had would slowly vanish with every date, outing, or kiss he gave you. He appreciated you and didn't mind showing you off to anyone who would listen. He made you feel like the most important girl in the world and you couldn't be happier...

...so you thought...