8

Health class begins and I sit in my seat with a bored look on my face.

"Oh my god, don't tell me we have to do that baby project," Taylor says as she walks in.

"Sorry but it's required," the teacher says.

"Who's my partner?" She asks Ms. Brown.

"Stokeley Goulbourne," the teacher says.

I see Taylor get a little smile on her face making me roll my eyes. Don't get me wrong I'm all for whatever makes her happy but they are not meant for each other. I already know Ski doesn't feel the same but she doesn't know that and she just needs to figure it out for herself because realizing when someone doesn't like you back and realizing when it's time to move on is all part of maturing.

"Kyra, your partner is Zyaire Johnson," Ms. Brown says looking at her clipboard.

I freeze up with fear flowing through my veins.

"I- I thought I was with Jahseh," I stutter.

"That was until Ms. Worthy offered to pair up with him a few minutes ago," Ms. Brown says confused by the look of sheer terror in my eyes.

"You can't do this, I was supposed to be with Jahseh," I say.

"I think you're fine partnering with Mr. Johnson, I'm sure he doesn't bite," she jokes.

He might not bite but he does slap. He does punch. He does kick. He does tear me down and strip me of my confidence while stripping me of my clothes and dignity. He does leave scars on my body. He does leave me for dead. He did leave me wanting to be dead. He is the reason I can't feel anymore, because to stay alive I can't feel anything because God knows the emotions I would feel would drive me over the edge. The numbness is my protection.

"You-"

"Not another word, you're overreacting like every other teen, I'm sorry you can be with your little crush but that's life," she says.

Not to be dramatic but I wanna slit her throat.

"B-"

"I don't wanna hear another word, now sit down or I can give you a detention if you want," she says.

I can't afford to disappoint my mother with a detention so I sit down.

Jahseh sits next to me confused at the look on my face.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"You're not my partner," I say.

He gets a confused look on his face.

"Kyra if I'm not your partner then who is," he says in a laugh because he thinks I'm mad at him.

"Ay Kyra, come here!" Zyaire yells.

I slowly gather my shit and walk up to him.

I get disgusted by the look on his face when he looks me up and down.

Everyone in the class gets wide eyes when they see my sitting down by Zyaire except Ms. Brown cause she wasn't here when everything went down.