Entry 1

For Riley, who always tolerated me, and my sister Jenna who shares my love of Metroid.

Entry 1

I lost my best friend the other day.

That might be too forward. Let me start off with why I'm writing this. When I got back from my mission, the Galactic Federation gave me a therapist because apparently I exhibit "antisocial behavior" and I passed some kind of test for being a sociopath, as well as some other mental disorders, which I think is complete and utter crap. So I met her today. She seems nice enough. Her name is Dr. Cassandra White. She asked me about my mission and about the baby metroid.

That seems to be what everybody wants to know. Maybe they were expecting me to have him floating behind me as I walked out of my ship. They all heard how fond I was of him, and when I returned with the news he had died saving me, I think they all pitied me. Dr. White says she thinks I took such a liking to him was because of deep-rooted maternal instincts. And then something about me coping because I can't have kids. And then she told me to write in this journal every day I could. In regards to the thing about having kids, I'd never really planned on getting married or settling down, but it still kind of hurt when I found out. Maybe she's right. Maybe that's why I spared that metroid. The baby, who I secretly thought of as a friend or child, died saving me. I feel like I could've prevented it. I feel like it's my fault. They put me on some kind of medication, and it's either that or the guilt keeping me awake. I'm not sure, but I'm writing this either way. It hit me earlier that the baby was really and truly gone, and I cried. I haven't cried in a long time. I don't usually cry, but that's because I usually don't have a reason to. I've been thinking about painting my room lately. It gets kind of tiring looking at the same color for several years. Maybe I'll paint it blue. Maybe I'll paint the metroid on my wall.

Maybe.

Note to self: be sure to pick up:

Toothbrush (Ridley ate my last one)

Toilet paper

Milk

And something for dinner tomorrow.