Day 2

Clarissa

I sit down at the pathetic table and take a sip of my coffee, listening to the morning news. My ears begin to drown out the hum of the news, but I hear a vague mention of some sickness similar to the flu, some sort of virus spreading. Maybe a new strain of it. Thinking it will blow over in a few days, I cut off the TV in no bother to finish listening to the story. I already have the flu shot. Besides, the news anchor was way too chipper for my groggy self.

"Hey, baby," a tenor voice rumbles behind me. His arms wrap around and over my shoulders, his chin resting on my right shoulder.

"I'm heading off to work, don't miss me too much," he adds. I feel the corners of his mouth turn up as he places a soft kiss on my jaw, followed by one on my cheek. My heart thumps just a little faster. My eyes follow him as his dark brown, almost black hair, recedes from my vision and he exits the apartment.

I look through the Pinterest board for our wedding again, fantasizing about the day as I pin another color scheme idea. The wedding wasn't set for anytime soon, but I still think of it constantly.

I stretch my arms over my head, resulting in a pop in my shoulders. Work was the last place I wanted to be because all I wanted to do was daydream about the wedding and enjoy my favorite two brothers on TV with their Supernatural antics.

But no, I have to deal with a load of annoying and smelly ninth graders who seemingly have never heard the flow of fresh water from the shower. I love teaching, but there are just some days that I'd rather stay inside where it is warm. Sighing over-exaggeratedly, I accept my fate and stand up, picking up my school stuff and putting on my coat. Exiting my apartment, I lock the door behind me.

Since my future husband took the car again, I made my way to the nearest bus stop. I arrive at my classroom moments before the bell rings. I'm greeted by the anxious eyes of insecure ninth graders. When I take the roll, I realize that Hannah hasn't arrived. It's unlike her not to show. Three other students are also absent. It must be the flu or the virus I overheard about on the news. I sigh.

I begin teaching about the different types of energy-saving alternative methods to gas energy, my eyes averting to a couple of kids whispering and pointing at something on their phone. The door opens suddenly, Hannah popping in. She looks out of breath and teary-eyed. I give her the nod to sit down and re-mark her as present and submit the attendance. I hear some faint shouting but ignore it since it isn't right in front of my door. Giving the kids a warm-up to complete, I check my emails. I open up the email from the principal.

Attention all faculty and staff, due to the high risk that was established for this sickness by the CDC, we will be dismissing school promptly after all lunches are complete to give the students a chance to receive their lunches. This is a city-wide decision for all schools across the Richmond city school district. Please inform your students by the end of first period. Also, the schedule will go on, as usual, excluding fourth period. There is no need for panic for this is just a precaution until more information is known about the sickness.

Thank you for understanding.

-Principal Talbott

I clear my throat harshly, and the students look up, a few of them snickering softly.

"In case you haven't heard, there is what is believed to be a flu-like sickness going around. As a line of precaution, the principal has announced that school will be dismissed early, promptly after lunch finishes." I hear hoots and hollers, the news igniting their excitement.

"The schedule is the same, except there will be no fourth period." More rejoicing erupted in the classroom at having no fourth period, smiling slightly to myself as well. Fourth period is my bad class, unlike this class which has primarily good students. Every teacher has one bad class.