Part 10

Nadine sipped her coffee as she was in nearby restaurant with Bret sat at the opposite site. He who didn't take his eyes off from her, was waiting patiently for Nadine to explain everything to him. The news about her secret marriage that he only found out through her husband really disappointed him. They had been friend for five years, yet she still liked to hid this kind of matter from him. A heavy sigh escaped from her throat as she threw her sight outside the restaurant. After the night in hotel, Nadine didn't see James for three days because he directly flew to Japan without returning home first.

"Nadine, why you hide such important matter from me? We are friend, aren't we?" Nadine bit her lip as she could sense his disappointment through his voice, but she had a strong reason to do so. She didn't want Bret found out the past that she tried to hide from everyone, including James.

"I'm sorry for hiding my marriage from you, Bret. But thing isn't easy as you think. It's very complicated for me to explain it right now. Please understand me," she pleaded for understanding, not more than it. She was tired enough to avoid from talking about past, yet she couldn't simply reveal everything when it would cause people around her to get hurt even more.

"But you never once mentioned about him as well Reid family. That was why I surprised when he introduced himself as your husband," Bret still eager to know about her past before she moved to Japan as the exchanged student five years ago. Nadine knew Bret very well, and he wouldn't stop asking if she didn't tell him something about it.

"Okay, I met my husband 7 years ago, but we were apart for 5 years due to some reasons. Are you satisfied now?! Please Bret, don't ask me more about it," her slightly mad tone realized Bret that he had urged her to tell something that she didn't want to talk about, but he couldn't help not to know her past with James. He felt sorry when she seemed irritated with his action just now.

"Alright, I won't force you, but did your mother know about this?" sigh escaped from his throat after saw she shook her head, but he tried to understand that she must have a strong reason to do so.

"No, so can you please keep it as a secret. I will tell her when the time comes," she looked at him with pleading eyes. Why she wanted badly to hide this marriage from everyone?! Was she actually had been forced into this marriage? Bret didn't want to make any conclusion without knowing the real story of it.

"I got it,"

"Thanks Bret," she said in relief. How could she tell him that her marriage wasn't based on love? It was something she needed to pay for the sin she had committed toward her husband. She absolutely couldn't tell him about it.

************

Mr.Malcom crossed his legs as his eyes fixed on his assistant's face. Mr.John was here to inform the result obtained from the investigation that had been done for past few weeks. Although the result couldn't solve everything at one time, but at least it would reveal the secret little by little.

"Mrs.Bea didn't lie about Nadine received the money from her. I had checked her account, and there is still large amount of money left in her account. Moreover, I just found out that she had been transferred to University of Tokyo as student exchange," the last statement did surprise Mr.Malcom, and his body automatically straightened up.

"Wait, University of Tokyo? Are you sure about it?" he asked for confirmation, and Mr.John instantly nodded as response. Five years ago, he used to ask university's authorities regarding her new university, but the information was private and confidential. Because of that, he tried to search her in all possible universities in China, Korea, and Japan. Mr.Malcom still remembered that there was no data of Nadine when he searched her in that university.