Chapter 7

She slightly opened her eyes, everything was foggy and blurry. She saw a hand holding a syringe, a white overall and faint voices and everything blacked out again. 

She opened her eyes again and now it was dark, she could feel someone breathing next to her, snoring softly. She could not lift her head, it was heavy as if loads of weight had been placed on it. Her eyes scanned the room again, everything was dark and slightly blurry, all she could feel was  just a warm hold enclosing her hand and she sighed. She knew who it was..

Baba!

Family never gives up on you. They are the only ones who would stand erect in a tornado if you need them to, they’ll never bring up your failures and never tell you that you are not good enough. When no one is there, you family is. She remembered baba sobbing into the phone.

Why was he crying? She thought about it until her head started swimming and she passed out again.

___________

"Hello, Inaara?"

Mr. Wasim was having his breakfast, Inaara had just left for university when he received a call from her number.

Thinking about what it could be, he picked it up, trying his best not to freak out.

His hands were shivering when he spoke into his phone but he couldn't understand what Inaara said, except for the word accident and he knew she was in trouble. Thinking of Inaara lifeless, dead and cold was a Petrifying experience that he never wanted to experience ever again. He didn't know how he called Mustafa and Mustafa drove him to where Inaara was, covered in blood and limp.

It was so hard to see her like that. She was always smiling, her brown eyes shining with kindness and warmth and today they were closed, her hands dangling limp when he and Mustafa took her out of the car and laid her down on Mustafa's car's backseat. Her head was in Wasim's lap, her hair clogged and sticky due to the blood. Her pink shirt was now maroon with the blood and Wasim could feel her pulse almost stopping.

"Mustafa, faster!"

They reached Islamabad in a record time of twenty five minutes but those were the longest twenty five minutes of their lives. Waiting outside the operation theatre in the freezing, metallic waiting area was driving him crazy. He could see Mustafa running around in haste arranging blood and medicines but he could not move. He sat on the bench for six hours while the doctors performed the surgery.

He hallway was dimly lit, everything was moving in slow motion. The screeching sound of stretchers didn't startle him, he was too absorbed, his mind not being able to register things. He felt a cold hand on his shoulder. So cold that I made him shiver even though it hadn't touched his skin directly. He looked up to see a broken Sohaib in his uniform.

"Kya hua issay... Kab?"
His voice cracked and he had to stop midway to swallow the lump in his throat. He couldn't afford to break down, not here. Not in front of a father who was already very vulnerable. Sohaib had to stay strong. Well, at least pretend to be strong. He was clutching onto Wasim for support.

He didn't want to lose her. He could not afford to lose. How could he live witjout her for even a second now that he know how much he loved her?