Chapter 11

Flashbacks are in bold.

________________

"Inaara, why would you do this?" Baba was sitting on the right edge of her bed, trying to get the information out of her. The cold breeze was hitting against the white curtains that were draped around the windows, dancing to the rhythm of the air. They'd reveal the small, half moon at times when moved by the air, Inaara stared out into the space, curling up on the couch that was lying in front of her bed.

"You are trying to avoid your friends, your health is declining day by day. You don't see Mustafa, you don't see Sohaib. You refuse to talk to your friends from the university, tell me what you want, please." Baba pleaded, trying to make her understand that her condition hurt him and he could do nothing about it because she wasn't letting him do anything.

"It's been two months since Sohaib last visited me, baba. And four weeks, a whole months since Mustafa last called. These people are moving on. It hurts to helplessly watch your loved ones go, but I did it to protect them.." She bit her lip but she had slipped it. Her palm tingled, wanting so badly to face palm but of course she couldn't do that in front of baba. She was tired of carrying this burden on her own, she wanted to share it with someone. To cry over her helplessness and then move on. She had lost hope. She didn't cooperate with her therapist who had complained to baba about her behavior and negligence regarding her health and now baba was here to counsel her.

"Protect them? From what, exactly?" Baba raised his eyebrows and Inaara didn't even take a second in surrendering and succumbing to his penetrating gaze.

She told him the whole story, about how Tania had threatened her before her accident, how she was shot in the rib intentionally. She told him about Tania's visit to the hospital and her closeness with Sohaib. 

"Baba, I don't mind anyone being close and friends with anyone but I cannot forget the fact that Sohaib called himself my family and then was being friendly with that clingy creature who is responsible for me current situation. I know that he didn't know that, he still doesn't know that she is the one who wanted me dead."

"Why would she try to kill you?"

She stopped abruptly and cleared her throat before answering.

"Baba, she was.... jealous."

"....of?"

Ugh.

"Why would I know?"

"You don't know?" His tone had a hint of disbelief. 

"I do. She thought that Sohaib was falling for me. The guy has looks, everyone goes gaga over him." She chuckled. She never knew she could talk about guys to baba but problems bring families closer. They break the ice and let everyone blend in, hold hands, interact and become more than a family. Problems help families connect with each other. She looked at his face and regretted telling him immediately, he was twisting in his seat and looked enraged.

"Baba, you cannon tell anyone. She threatened me that she can kill Sohaib as well." 

"I don't care. She has to pay for it."

"Baba, hisaab leney walay Allah hain, hum nahi." And that was it, the last sentence was as if somebody has poured cold water on his body, locking him in place.

"I leave it on Allah, He will avenge my pain, my sufferings, physical, mental and emotional." She told him and he got up to put her to bed.

___________________