Chapter 17

*Unedited

The black Land Cruiser's windows were rolled down. She was holding a wheeled suitcase in her hand that dragged along as she stepped out of it into the cold Islamabad evening.

She was replaying the conversation with her father in her mind.

"why do you think I'll let you leave like this? You cannot leave this country without my permission or  I assure you miss Tania Shah, you wouldn't be able to take another breath."

"What kind of a man are you, baba? You'd kill a woman to get what you want, you played me into a marriage, you ruined three lives and now you threaten me of my life?" She sighed into t phone.

"Yes. You know me well enough. I'll make sure you don't leave this country, I have to settle my accounts with that man. His fellow ASP captured a few of my men the other day. I won't let you leave like this." 

"Are you out of your mind? Sohaib doesn't care about you or me. We are not even a part of that man's equation. It's a part of their job. Zafar probably doesn't  even know you." She yelled onto the phone. Knowing her cunning father, she was now worried about Sohaib and Zafar.

"Oh. We'll see how much they care. Bon voyage!"

She couldn't believe that it was her father that she talked to a few hours back. The man with a stern voice and ice cold tone sounded like an utter stranger. But it wasn't his fault, she knew that the police was tightening their grip on him and he'll get caught for his frauds in the government's funds for the town's schools and dispensary. She felt sorry for him but was proud of herself for outliving her fear, for breaking the spell of her fear and breaking through the cages.

She knew that she'll fly away successfully and never come back. Before leaving, she decided to call Sohaib.

"Yes?" His grave voice came from inside the phone.

"Sohaib?"

"Tania?" He was surprised.

"Yes, it's me. I wanted to warn you about baba, he's hunting for you and Zafar. You two need to be careful because he can go to any extent. You know what he did to Inaara, right? please be safe." She talked like she didn't remember what they said to each other in the restaurant earlier. Inaara had forgiven her, she did not want to burden herself with that baggage anymore.

"Okay." He chuckled. "You do not worry about us, travel and have a good life Tania. You deserve better."

She remained quiet for a while. "I know, I chose the best for myself, before and now." She said the most intimate thing in such a way that she didn't even realize it. She was talking to a companion of her five years and most importantly, she was still his wife.

"Aik baat maanogay?"

"Haan blo." His voice was soft, warm. There was no frustration, no annoyance in his tone, which was a courtesy of their separation.

"Mere dost tou rahogay na?"

"Tum mujhe dost banaaye rakhna chahti ho?"

"Humesha.... Agar Inaara ko bura.."

"Aray nahi, aisi koyi baat nahi hai. Hum humesha dost rahengay."

He suddenly cut her off midway. The velvety tone made tears brim in her eyes but she gulped them down, swallowing the salty taste that rose in her throat.