Chapter 12

Inaara looked up into his eyes that looked concerned and warm. She had missed the warmth, so much. He was still the same, breath- taking, gorgeous and a gentleman. His eyes were full of longing. He took a step towards her and she leaned back in her seat, fear suddenly clouding her face. 

"Inaara Fatima!" He whispered. She was still looking into his eyes, looking for something that might make her feel alive. She was numb. And cold.

"How have you been?" His eyes were tepid, a green that looked like it was melting. It slowly started snaking around her body, she felt a current in her feet reminding her to move. She was stiff. 

"Fine." She croaked, wanting to slap him in his chest and hide from the world, hugging him tight but then her mind started functioning and she was suddenly reminded of the fact that he was married. To Tania. Sohaib Ali Khan who was her best friend had left her and married the woman who assaulted her, tried to murder her. The woman who was still the reason behind her on meds, the woman who caused her so much pain the she had to leave her town, her identity. He married her. She pushed the chair with a screeching sound, jumping up to her feet as if stung. She had forgotten that she fought a man today and was badly hurt, which resulted in the string jolts of pain making her flinch.

"Ow." She squealed, looking at her knee, her pants had red spots of blood and dirt all over them. Sohaib moved suddenly, holding her from the arms but she violently pushed him away.

"Stay away from me, Mr. SP." Glaring at him, she left for the exit and sat in her car leaving the watchman behind, drove away.

_________________

"Baba listen to me, don't do this."

"you were eavesdropping?"  His voice raised as he shot daggers at her. She took a step back in defense.

"No one deserves a life like that, baba." She was pleading. She was trying to look and trigger the humanity if there was any left inside of him.

"I am doing this for you, beta." He looked at her, Shaking his head.

Tears welled up in her eyes and she held his hand. "Baba, no. I was there when you were giving the order. You want to kill a human being, that's not fair." Her voice was thick with emotions, trying to hold back the tears she tried one more time.

"Aapki beti ki khuzhiyon ko usski aah khaa jaayegi, baba." She couldn't stop her father that night. The guilt will always eat her, haunt her.

Her eyes jerked open and she sat in the bed, looking around.

____________

The coffee brewer was turned on and Tania was looking at it, leaning against the countertop. Sohaib had reached home and kissed her forehead before changing and asked for a cup of coffee. Her eyes were fixed on the brewer but her mind was far away from Islamabad, lurking in the small town where her father lived and her mother died. Where she was raised, neglected by her father and loved by everyone else. She started smoking after college to cope with the deficiencies she had. Always angry, always upset with her life Tania turned into a girl she was ashamed of now.

Living with Sohaib has revealed so much to her. It dawned on her the she was living in a  delusion. She knew that she was lucky having to marry the man she loved but there was always a problem; Sohaib had not forgotten whom he loved. He would toss and turn in the bed at night, have nightmares and wake up to stare at the moon. He thought the woman lying beside him didn't know. Perhaps he didn't expect her to be smart enough or maybe it was because that he thought she didn't care. It always hurt her.