Chapter Twelve

My knees and palms smack against the wooden floors much like how my brother did last night. I wheeze as I try to regain the lost oxygen and tears slowly but surely flow from my eyes as it rushes back in. "What the hell is that?" A gruff male voice calls out.

My attacker yanks the Shaw off and grabs a fistful of my short hair, jerking my head back and exposing my ears. I glare up at the familiar demon as the pain in my scalp get worse. He's making me regret doing this for him. Stupid. "A little Elf," a woman says.

Draven releases my hair pushing my head away like he's disgusted with me. "Watch it elf," he hisses at me. Why is he calling me an elf? He knows damn well I'm a fairy. Or half fairy but that doesn't really matter right now.

  I stand up, using the shawl to wipe my face free of tears. Draven, the large man with blue skin and tusks, and the plump green woman with a knee length pointed tail leave the store together. I watch them leave in confusion. Why is he even here? I hear someone clear their throat to see a real elf standing behind the counter.

   He, like most high elves, is tall with long flowing black hair. His pointed ears are poking out from behind his thin hair. He is surprisingly slightly tan and his eyes are a grass green. "May I help you?"

"Are you Edan?" I ask as I make my way to him.

"Yes."

   I grab an extra price of paper and write down the description of the sword I'm looking for. I slide the paper to him, his eyebrows drawing together to show faint wrinkles. His long slender fingers move from his pockets to the paper. "Why do you need this?"

"Is it honestly any of your business?" I retort making him chuckle. I look behind me, hooping Draven won't come back.

"It's a rare sword. Expensive."

"I figured so."

  He seems almost surprised before he wonders off towards the back of the store. The part where I stand is small, a table is in the corner with a candle and chair but that's about it. Minutes pass and I'm about convinced that Edan snuck out the back door until I hear the clattering sound of multiple metal objects falling. He lets out a few colorful words as he makes his way back with a long black wooden box.

"Take a look," he says as he sets it on the counter. I open the lid as my heart picks up pace. A long, white, thin blade connects to a sphere with diamond shapes in it. From the bottom of the sphere is a thicker blade connecting with the hilt of the sword that has a sun engraved in it. Ornamental side prices come from either side of the sun. The silvery white sword has a pure look to it and it's hard to look away. I touch the sun, living the odd sparks that fly up my arm.

"I see it hasn't rejected you yet

"I see it hasn't rejected you yet. It usually sends an electric jolt to who touches it," Edan says as he watches me. My finger tips run over the blade which feels warm.

"How much?"

———

   I make it back to my car with almost no accidents. By now the sky is dark and splattered with stars. I feel my stomach growl as I come to the realization I haven't ate today. I unlock my car and set my bag in the trunk. Once inside my car I put my shoes on, take the shawl off and turn my phone back on. Instantly several notifications pop up from my mom. Mostly messages asking how it is going but for the last two hours, which I spent trying to find my way out, she called forty times and sent eighty texts telling me to call. I turn my car on and lock the doors before calling her back. 

  When she picks up I don't give her a chance to speak. "I told you I couldn't take my phone inside. I'm perfectly safe."

"Like hell you are," the deep voice growls out. I drop my phone from the shock. I wasn't expecting him to answer. I pick it back up and put it back to my ear.

"I don't want to speak to you," I mutter. He lets out a cold laugh while I frown.

"To bad. Get your ass home now!"

"You aren't my father, Draven."

  He lets out another growl and it sounds like he hits something. "I know. I'm an angry demon so I wouldn't push your luck Jezza."

   I feel a slight sad ping in my chest that he didn't call me Little Fairy but I think that was the point. He's angry with me so I don't get a nickname, I get scolded with my real name. I mutter fine before hanging up and driving straight home despite the empty pit in my stomach. The drive home was rather boring but as I get closer I get more and more nervous. Why is he mad at me?

  When I arrive at my house, my mom is getting out of her best friends car with what seems like four boxes of pizza. My stomach growls when I see the food. I get out of the car and wave at her friends before getting my bag. "Jezza!"

"Yes mom?"

"Why is he so angry?" She whispers nodding towards the house. She must mean Draven. I shrug while holding my bag closer. Then her eyes fall to my neck in confusion. "Who strangled you!"

"I would rather not talk about it right now," I say as we go to the door together. By the time we reach it my hands are shaking. She stops and peers at me.

"Jezza?" She whispers.

"He sounded so pissed off on the phone," I whisper. She shakes her head with a frown on her face.

"He was using his nice tone. He's beyond pissed off, sweetie," she says. I take a deep breath and push open the door. Cirrus is laying in the floor, obviously in pain. He has a bruising cheek and eye. Dad is beside him with Cirrus' arm in his hands. He's about to pop his arm in place.

"What happened?"

"Well, Draven didn't want to destroy the house," dad mutters before jerking Cirrus' arm. Cirrus grunts our in pain.

"So he destroyed my brother?" I ask as I walk in. I set my bag off to the side as I do. My wrist is jerked as I'm pulled to the stairs by Draven who suddenly showed up. His grip is painful on me and his pace is almost faster then I can walk as he tries to take two stairs at a time. He pushes me in my room, I stumble and fall in the floor. He shuts my door and locks it. I can feel the anger roll off of him in waves. His human eyes which change colors almost everyday is replaced by his demon glowing gold with the red lines. It is obvious he is trying to control his rage.

  Demons don't control rage though, they relish in it.