Chapter Thirty~Seven

Draga tugs and twists my hair out of the way. I look in the mirrors only to from where the cut outs for wings are, though it's useless for me. The white armor only makes me come across as even more pale. Draga hands me my sword, the sword that killed Draven before she excused herself.

I let the sword balance in my hand, it still seems like it fits perfectly there. I hold it up towards the light with a frown. My father had it properly cleaned, no stains are visible, but I can just imagine Dravens blood. I close my eyes seeing the look on his face, it's like it's been tattooed to my brain. I can't forget it. "You know this is what he wanted for you," I hear my father say.  I set the sword down while shaking my head.

"He should be here," I whisper while leaning on my vanity table. My father walks over making sure my outfit fits properly to my body. It's mostly just a white tight fitting body suit that has self repairing properties to it. Over it there is a corset like top that helps with hiding small throwing knives. There's leather like armor that rests on my shoulders and circles up on my neck for extra protection. He opens the box resting on the vanity before slipping the crown in my head. Instead of it resting on my hair it rests on my forehead, where a crystal droops between my brows.

  Avo smiles down at me while affectionately putting his hand on my face. "He is," he pauses giving me a knowing look, "the memories you share will keep him alive in your mind."

"That's not what I meant and you know it," I mutter grabbing the sword.   Avo sighs loudly before escorting me down towards the arena. The arena is really just a small valley between two mountains, which is why wings give an advantage to the fight. The rocky terrain and going to higher ground is difficult for halfbreeds. Once we arrive I notice that Uncle Uri is standing in the middle making his speech, his large golden wings on full display. Today most Fey with have their wings exposed in honor of the fight. Avo stands beside me rubbing my shoulders and muttering prayers. "You will win Jezza," he whispers.

   Avo walks with me towards the rock platform, both of us with our head held high. I have been assured that a ritual was preformed so that Shea's baby won't get hurt, even if She's were to die. It's an odd spell, she would be dead but her body would still function until the child is delivered. I'm just hoping that I don't have to kill her.

   Shea and I swear to a fair fight before we take some steps back and getting into position. Avo and Uri both retreat back to the seats before we start. Sheas wings slowly appear, they resemble that of a Swallowtail butterfly. She twists her sword in a playful manner before smirking at me. I grip onto the hilt of mine trying to let my nature take over. I know deep in me I have the instincts to win, I am my fathers daughter after all.

  We slowly circle each other, I try to focus on her body language. "I should be Queen," she hisses while swiping her sword at me. I step back only to have the sword barely cut my arm. My armor instantly repairs itself while applying pressure to the wound. I duck and roll away from her before sending a kick to her leg. She stumbles away from me before screaming. "Why do you make things so complicated!" She screams while swiping at me again. I stop her sword with mine, she pushes so I'm almost squatting while trying to push her away. I shove her back with a grunt of mine own before swinging my weapon and cutting her cheek.

"Why are you such a bitch?" I grunt while swiping at her again. She dodges while stepping back. She swings her sword at me but I twist around her and elbow her back. She stumbles a little so I bring the hilt down on her head making her cry out. "I don't want to hurt you."

"That's what makes you weak," she spits back. She spins around as I jump back but I can still feel a sting on my side where she once again barely cut me. I push back strands of stray hair as I take some deep breaths as she does. I can hear people shooting from the crowd for words of encouragement. It surprises me how often I hear my name praised.  I drop my sword while jump at Shes, grabbing her at the waist and knocking her down. I shove her sword away while trying to hold her down. We roll around some, I hit her a few times as she does me, before she finally gets on top and wraps her arms around me.

  Suddenly I feel the air whip around us as she shoots us straight into the air. This isn't fair. I struggle to keep ahold of her as the arena starts to get even smaller by the second. "This is why you will always be inferior little cousin," she hisses before dropping me. Panic is lodged in my chest while I try to surprise my screams as I twirl around in the air towards my inevitable death.

Maybe it would be better this way, I wouldn't have to handle the guilt of knowing I killed Draven. Draga's voice rings in my head. Me being Queen is he wanted. It's want my family wants, what they desperately need from me.

As the ground approaches I try my best to command the earth to my will but it doesn't work. I already knew it wouldn't, I don't have full control over my abilities yet. I twist so I don't have to watch the ground to see if it would help me concentrate but a sharp stabbing pain ripples through my back with the sound of flesh tearing. I am quickly turned over again, my body barely inches off the ground as I come to a sudden halt. I know it was Shea because she is standing on the other side of the area, paused misstep walking towards me. I can feel the blood running down my back as I slowly stand up. Through the pain that radiates through my body I feel an electric buzz. Though my chest still feels hallow, my physical body feels complete.

I take a second to look around seeing all the stunned faces of the fellow Fey. Some are already whispering quietly in awe. I look over to Shea who has a look of pure disbelief written all over her face. She is gripping onto my sword with her mouth slightly open looking at me. Or is it behind me? I look over my shoulder only gasp.

Slivery white, yet transparent wings are coming from my back. They are tainted by my blood as it runs down the elegant looking wings. "Beat her ass Jezza!" I hear Draga scream. I turn back towards Shea in time to see her run at me. I don't doge quickly enough but instead of my chest the sword goes through my shoulder. I cry out in pain before kicking her knee making her drop and scoot away as I pull the sword out. She jumps up at the same time I swing the sword at her throat stopping right before it hits her. She turns and I move the sword to do the same thing.

"I really don't want to hurt you," I call out only to make her frown. It took me a second to realize that I'm hovering in the air high enough so I can point the tip down at her, instead of up. "Just surrender."

"No!" She cries out while jumping at me again. Startled, I swing the hilt down on her head making her collapse to the ground. I fall to my knees beside her to check her pulse, still alive. Uri, Yara, and my father strand before us with smiles on their faces. 

"She's alive," I confirm for them. My father carefully wraps his arms around me.

"I'm so proud of you," he whispers. I can sense his hands gently grazing my wings. "Such beautiful wings."

  Uri pulls me from my father while leading me back towards the stone platform. "You all were here to witness this fight not only for history to be made but for it twice. Our new Queen has been chosen and will be crowned soon. My niece Jezza, a halfbreed, has gained her wings today and we will celebrate," he says while holding my hand in the air. The people start to shout their praises making me smile.

A/N
  Not going to lie, I've put this chapter off purely because I'm not the best at writing fight scenes and that's pretty much all this is. I was discouraged at writing it. So far what's your favorite part of the story?

Annnyway, these are Jezzas wings: