For The Last Time

So this is pretty much exactly what happened to me with me and the guy I liked, and, y'know... I wanted to make it a sort of... bittersweet Boyf Riends thing, since these children are what I'm into right now.

In this AU, Jere is but a wee seventh grader (me), watching all his older friends leave. Among their ranks is Michael, the friend/crush. the Eighth Graders have a half day, while everyone else has to go stay.

(Jeremy's POV)

It's finally the end of the Eighth Graders last day, and I wish I could make myself cry- seeing so many friends, and people I idolize, leaving. I turn to go back to my class, thinking no one I know is still here, but then I see him coming down the hall.

Michael.

He walks in my direction, but not towards me- I pretend I don't see him, but as he walks by me, my arm reaches across my body to grab one of his. He grabs back, acknowledging me while he continues to speak to someone else.

But, all too soon, we reach the corner that I can't turn- the one that leads to the lobby- to the exit I can't take. I stop walking, and my grip on his arm tightens. He is spun around to face me by my action, and suddenly, it feels like something out of a movie. For me, at least, everything stops except for me, and him, and the moments to come. I find myself remembering a conversation we'd had once...

As we stand to leave Spanish, I finish up what I was saying.

"So, yeah, I wouldn't just go up and hug someone unless I knew them really well- like my best friend. I wouldn't want to do it because the person might be uncomfortable with it, which could even be different depending on... stuff... and also, because I'd just have too much stress over doing it anyway." I laugh a little. "So I'd probably say something like-"

I gaze up into Michael's eyes, as he watches me expectantly. I muster up all my courage, and ask,

"What's your Hug Comfort Level with me right now?"

His expression goes soft (I don't let myself think up the word 'pitying'), and after a moment, he pulls me in.

I have to stand up my toes to get my chin on his shoulder, and even that is a stretch. His arms are around me, and mine are around him, and I can feel everything and nothing all at once, and the bittersweet-movie-scene feeling intensifies, and it's beautiful. I wish it could last forever, but I know it can't.

He pulls away, making eye contact with me for the last time until a long time into the unknowable future, and then he is gone.

I sigh, and turn to go to the last few minutes of Spanish class-

-For the first time without him.