Chapter Five // The Great Escape

About a minute or two later, I arrive into a cafe that eerily reminds me of Cafe 50's, or Lou's Cafe (when I traveled back to 1955). The layout was the same, but the decorations were also completely different. I could hear "Beat It" by Michael Jackson playing, and if I looked in front of me I could see some of my favorite TV shows playing all at once, such as Family Ties, Dallas, Cheers, The Smurfs, and Taxi. I also notice that there are people on exercise bikes, something that I wish cafes in the 80s actually had. Finally, I notice that there are no waiters around- and instead are 'video waiters'. I overheard what sounded like Michael Jackson talking to a woman at the counter, telling her about the menu. I stand in the doorway, confused as to what was happening. Was this really what people imagined the 1980s as?

Out of nowhere, another video waiter appears in front of me. I give a small yelp in surprise, as my waiter Ronald Reagan begins talking. "Welcome to the Cafe 80s, where it's always morning in America, even in the aftern-n-noon." He says, sounding off. I stare at the video in confusion, wondering why it was buffering. "Our special today is mesquite-grilled Cajun-style.." Reagan continues, but is cut off by another waiter on the same video. This waiter now looks like Ayatollah Khomeini.

"You must try the hot Satan special!" Ayatollah yells, and this sets off some sort sort of argument between him and Reagan. It starts to get more intense as they argue more, so I cut them both off.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!" I yell, and both of the waiters finally shut up. "All I want is a Pepsi."

Suddenly, a Pepsi shoots into my view out of nowhere, and I pick it up, observing the bottle. Talk about a big change the bottles had- far out.

But before I can figure out on how to open the bottle, an old but familiar voice interrupts me from behind. "Hey, McFly!"

I pause what I'm doing and turn around slowly. Was that... Biff Tannen I was hearing?

It looks like I am. I am now facing a white-haired, amused looking Biff.

 He nods, with his lips curled up in a devious sneer. "Yeah, I've seen you around." He says, noticing my facial expression. "You're Marty McFly's kid, aren't you?"

I ignore his question and continue to stare at him, trying to figure out if it was Biff. "Biff?" I ask.

"You're Marty Junior!" Biff exclaims. "Tough break kid, must be rough being named after a complete butthead."

I stare at him, wondering what on Earth he was talking about. A Tannen calling a McFly a butthead in this timeline? "What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, suspiciously.

"Hello, hello, anybody home?" He asks, obviously annoyed. He then proceeds to take his cane and knock it on top of my head, like he was asking knocking on a door. I swat it away, rubbing my head. Ouch!

"Think, McFly, think." He continues. "Your old man, Mr. Loser?"

"What?" I ask, more softer and slowly. Had he confused me with my dad, George? Even then- I was still surprised that he was calling me a loser aloud.

"That's right." Biff says slowly, as he takes a seat next to me. "Loser with a capital L."

I protest, thinking he had to be talking about my dad. There was no way I, Marty McFly (senior), could be a loser... right? "Look, I happen to know that George McFly is not a loser." I protest.

Old Biff rolls his eyes, annoyed again. "No, I'm not talking about George McFly." He responds. "I'm talking about his kid. Your old man, Marty McFly Senior... the man who took his life and completely flushed it down the toilet?"

I look at him, in a state of peer shock. I had flushed my own life down the toilet? But how- and why? "I did?" I ask, before quickly correcting myself. "I mean... he did?"