Chapter Nine // Hilldale

*Marty McFlys POV, A few minutes earlier*

After a long ride of traffic later, Doc and I finally land in Hilldale- my future neighborhood. Doc and I jump out of the car. "All right Einie, let's find Jennifer!" He exclaims.

I start to look around and marvel. "I don't believe it, I live in Hilldale!" I say to Doc in disbelief and excitement. "This is great!" Way to go, McFly! I hit the jackpot with this one.

Doc doesn't respond with the same enthusiasm. "Marty, stay here and change clothes." He instructs me. "I need you on holler."

I protest. "Come on Doc, I wanna check out my house!" I beg. If I was going to be in the future once, I at least wanted to see where I would live. But Doc shakes his head firmly before I can even finish.

"We can't risk you running into your older self." He says, and I mentally groan. Why does Doc have to be so stubborn sometimes? "Come on Einie."

Doc and Einstein leave, and I take off my jacket. "Hilldale?" I ask aloud to myself as I look around the town, in fascination. "This is bitchin."

I then take off my futuristic shoes and put my 1985 Nikes back on. They're much more comfortable, I decide. Maybe I wasn't exactly in trend with the future, but I sure as hell didn't want to wear the souped-up shoes anymore.

After I put my old ones back on, I continue to look around some more, and see a dog down the street walking... by a robotic lead. I gape at the dog as I walk up to it closer, staring in amazement at the future technology. It seems crazy to me on how old this technology changed in such a short amount of time, in only thirty years. I have a lot to look forward to in the future... Heavy.

I continue to walk down the street, even though Doc specifically told me not too. But I couldn't help myself- if a man has a chance to glance at his future life, then why not take it? Besides, I was only going to be gone for a minute or so, so nothing could really happen.

From behind me, I hear a car crash into something and fly off into the distance. I curiously wonder why but don't think about it too much as look around more. I just have to look at everything at least once, before I return to my old, boring life in 1985.

I walk down the street a bit further, but before I can reach my new house, Doc runs over and calls my name.

"Marty! Marty! Marty!" He yells, his voice in deep stress. "Come quick! Quick!"

I run down to the Doc and help him transport a passed-out Jennifer in his arms. I'm about to ask what happened, but Doc already answers my question for me before I say anything.

"She encountered her future self and went into shock, just as I predicted." He explains, and I grow worried. Is Jen gonna be okay? "She'll be fine," Doc answers, "so let's get her back to 1985. And then I'm going to destroy the time machine!"

I look at him confused, remembering his speech from earlier about humanity and life and destiny. "Destroy it?" I ask. "What about all that stuff about humanity? Where we're going and why?"

"The risk is just too great as this incident proves," Doc responds as he opens the door, placing Jennifer inside the car. "And I was behaving responsibly! Just imagine the danger of the Time Machine was to fall into the wrong hands!"

Doc continues, having a somber expression on his face. "My only regret is that I will never get a chance to visit my favorite historical era- the old west. But time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe... women."

I chuckle as I get into the car, with Jennifer still out cold. Doc checks that Einstein is in there too, and then inserts our destination- October 26th, 1985 at 9:00 PM. He then starts the car up, and we begin to accelerate. "Marty, Einie, brace yourselves for temporal displacement," Doc says as we get closer to 88. I hold Jennifer tight in my arms, and at last... we disappear into the night time sky, leaving a brilliant flash of fire trails behind. We were now gone from this futuristic world for good... or at least I hope.