fourteen.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN,
highway to hell

   THE HEAT OF the prolonged highways was all Samantha Walsh had ever known for the past few days

THE HEAT OF the prolonged highways was all Samantha Walsh had ever known for the past few days. The group of survivors was exhausted of hope, exhausted that every corner they turned it would just be as dead as the CDC. Their desperation's made them turn to Fort Benning, her big brother's plan becoming their solution - even if some didn't agree.

Nathan was against the idea, claiming it wasn't logical. He hasn't heard from his men.

His opinions picked and prickled at Shane's skin, his temper much more of a loose canon since the CDC, but he tried so hard, so hard to restrain himself for the sake of his baby sister, but being the mess that Shane Walsh was, his tries become hopeless and in vain.

Several of the men had to pull the two off, with their faces red and veins popping from their skin. It was agreed that Shane and Nate couldn't stay in the same room for awhile, hoping for whatever dislike that was brewing would soon blow over.

Samantha sat at the table with her brother, barely listening to Andrea who droned on about her past. Finally, she left for the bathroom and the siblings were left by themselves for a few moments.

Shane had his face downcast to the table, his thoughts rapid and his silence long. Suddenly, a finger pushed a rusty penny into his peripheral vision, and he lifted his head to glance at his side, acknowledging his baby sister's leaning form against the window, her smile directed at him. "Penny for your thoughts, big brother?"

Shane sighed. "Just a few thoughts," He mumbled, and he watched as her furrowed eyebrows pair with confused eyes. Her brother sighed, glancing around the stuffy RV and back at Samantha. "Look, one of the main things to me right now is keeping you safe - keeping us safe."

Samantha felt her lip twitch into a frown, but before it could she forced it into an assuring smile. "We're safe, Shane-" But her voice became layered with his own.

"No, we aren't," He contradicted. "After what happened at Atlanta - the CDC, you almost died. This group, it ain't safe. I'm not taking anymore chances of losing you. You're my sister, my responsibility."

Samantha stared at him for a long moment, trying to read his eyes, his everything to made sure she was hearing him right. You're not saying what I think you're saying, right?" The words left her lips and was met with the silence of her big brother, but that was enough of an answer to confirm her thoughts. "You can't be serious. This group, they are our family, we can't just-"

"You're my family," He interrupted, his tone a mixture of firmness and softness. Shane was trying to make her understand, understand that he just wanted her safe. "I gotta keep us alive, but if we traveled alone - it could be so much easier."