twenty seven.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN,
synced

   "HOLD THE LIGHT a little higher, please

"HOLD THE LIGHT a little higher, please." Samantha held the flashlight basically up to the Heavens, the cramp in her arm worsening. Dale glanced at her from the RV engine with a amused look.

"Having fun there, kiddo?" He chuckled.

"Having a blast," She drawled. "Dale, i've told you this before, what both you and this RV need is-"

"-needed retirement," He finished with his lips curling upwards. "You know, after a joke is used too many times, it tends to become less funny."

Samantha grinned cheekily. "Still made you smile though."

A car door slammed shut and both Samantha and Dale turned. Rick and Shane had placed Randall in the trunk of the SUV, getting ready to leave to drop him off.

"Heading out?" Dale called to them.

Rick nodded. Something about his whole demeanor was off, it wasn't very Rick Grimes.

"Yeah, if everything goes well we should be back in an hour," The sheriff said. "You think you can hold the fort while we're gone?"

Dale nodded, the smile on his face never ceasing from his kind features. "I might look old, but my fight is quite ugly."

"As ugly as that hat?" Samantha snickered.

Despite the two laughing, it didn't meet Rick's eyes and she resisted a frown, knowing something wasn't right. "You sure you don't want anymore hands?" Samantha pressed.

Rick tried to disguise everything with an assuring smile. "I'll see you when I get back." He patted her shoulder before turning and walking towards the vehicle.

Samantha met her brother's eyes, and she sent him a wave to which he barely returned.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she watched the two men get into the car and drive away. "That was strange," She voiced her thoughts. "Shane is never that distant with his goodbyes."

"It's because of me," Dale said lowly. "He doesn't like me that much."

"How can any one dislike you?" Samantha exclaimed. "You're basically Gandalf."

Dale rose a brow. "Are you calling me old?"

"Wise." She corrected.

"Unfortunately Shane doesn't think that."

Samantha knew about Shane and Dale's differences, but she didn't think it was that bad. They were just two people that wanted to survive the world, but had different ways of doing so. Maybe that was the problem.