twenty two.

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,
all this time

━━━━━━ SAMANTHA ABSOLUTELY HATED THE SILENCE, IF IT WASN'T NOTICEABLE ENOUGH

━━━━━━ SAMANTHA ABSOLUTELY HATED THE SILENCE, IF IT WASN'T NOTICEABLE ENOUGH. Silence was much more louder than any sound she's ever come across. Back in the old world, she would always put something in the background to keep her sanity at ease — yet in the morning when the group all ate breakfast with one another, she couldn't seem to run away from it.

"I could've gotten my own breakfast. I ain't a crippled, woman." Daryl Dixon insisted, his eyes rolling at the plate of food in Samantha's grasp.

She ignored his snappy attitude and merely smiled. "Says the same one who's limping around." Samantha quipped and he scoffed, taking a bite of his food.

From afar, she acknowledged Glenn Rhee and Maggie Rhee exchanging looks — and she instantly knew what it was about. What was in that barn was completely unavoidable, an elephant in the room situation.

Samantha was brought back into reality and she saw Glenn's eyes locked on hers, pleading with her to find some guidance through this conflict. She thought about the group, her brother, and then her godson's safety — the group needed to know.

She nodded, and Glenn hesitantly moved to the front of the group. "Hey guys," He swallowed thickly. "The barn's full of walkers."

His words broke through the bubble of peace and completely ruined their morning. Glass clattered with silverware as Nathan spring from his seat, his plate full of scrambled eggs falling to the ground. "What the actual shit?" His words were full of disbelief and anger, Samantha's brother not too far behind him. The two artilleries of the men stormed past a fumbling Glenn and towards the the barn.

Samantha heard a growl from within and Shane jumped back, immediately whirling around to face Rick Grimes. "You cannot tell me you're alright with this."

"No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land."

"This is our lives!" Shane argued.

"Lower your voice." Glenn hushed, glancing at the barn nervously.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea's voice made Samantha bite back a groan.

"She's right," Nathan agreed. "This is sick."

"We've either gotta go in there," Shane begun, grabbing everyone's attention. "We've got to make things right or we've got to just go."

"And go where exactly?" Samantha demanded, crossing her arms tightly.

"We have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

Nathan craned his neck to look at Shane. "Now I don't know about that, I haven't heard from my men—"