𝐚𝐜𝐭 𝐢 ; part vi. forest.

'The demon train? You've been assigned to it?'

'Yep! It seems like many hunters hadn't returned after being sent there. The Kamado boy and his group are going with me, too.'

'Kamado ... I have yet to meet the rest of them, but I hope they won't be a nuisance to you, Rengoku-san. Why are they going with you, though? You can take care of the demon by yourself.'

'I have no idea! However, going out in the field is a great learning experience, indeed!'

'If you say so ... '

The sky is cloudy and (Y/n) is in their element. Palettes of murky and mostly monochrome hues are unleashed against the azure ; winds blow in an unmatched pace and the air feels like a heavy burden upon lungs. The ache of the previously injured limb is nonexistent, at this point. Consulting with Kochou produced a satisfactory conclusion ; their arm had completely healed.

Forests provide greenery that is both pleasant and bothersome to the eye. It contrasts too heavily with the darkened heavens. Small path that sets apart the forest enough for a person to walk freely is barely paid attention to. The pillar moves expertly even through the wood and the leaves.

Rengoku's mission is present at the back of their mind.

What kind of demon was the problem?

What if it's an Upper Moon?

They stop. Even if it is, Rengoku-san is the strong. He'd be able to deal with it.

The stillness of nature is disturbed. Someone else is here.

With the slightest sound, they speed up. Of course, the chances of it being a demon are nonexistent. It's probably another pillar, considering that they were, indeed, at one of the specialized training grounds. Specifically, Himejima Gyoumei's (of course, they had asked him beforehand). Yet, they can't subdue their curiosity. Stoicism isn't all that defines them, after all.

It's not hard to find the intruder. Judging by that alone, he is obviously not a pillar.

One of the rules generally known to every hunter is to never go into the training grounds of pillars without permission. The person was foolish enough to break that rule.

It's a boy, of unruly stature and wild eyes. The horizontal scar that crosses over his face only adds to the image. At first, he is entirely unfamiliar.

Another look at him is enough for them to make a connection. The ever-present furrow of brows. The wide-blown irises.

Despite the popular belief, rumors were quite a thing amongst the demon hunters. Even if (Y/n) had no interest in such petty activities, they did hear that Sanemi had a brother who just joined the Demon Slaying Corps.