Chapter 2: Job opportunity

Hello everyone! I hope with this few chapters describing a little about the BPO industry you will get to see how it works :)

Thank you !

----

"what's taking this so long?" My workmate Melissa asked.

I shrugged at her and looked at the door of the conference room and as if on cue, the managers and team leaders came in and proceeded to their designated seats.

"Good morning guys, I am so sorry for the hold up. We have just been discussing some important matter but anyways, let's get started" our shift manager smiled at us as he stand in the center of the room, behind him is the white projector for this so called meeting.

In other days, I could have been excited, but not today. It's Thursday shift, well technically Friday morning, which means my day off, and I was so ready to go home and have some rest before getting ready for another tutorial session at home, but the managers asked for extra hour for this emergency meeting.

The manager started the meeting, congratulating everyone for a good performance for the month and so on. I literally zoned out for a good 5 to 10 minutes and was half asleep but I kept my eyes open, avoiding being rude. Then I felt a nudge on my side that took made me look. Lexa, my workmate, is catching my attention.

"Huh?" I asked still sleepy.

"I think SM (shift manager) is pertaining to you." She said without looking at me, she is focused on looking at our SM pretending to listen.

"What? " I suddenly felt awake and shifted on my sit.

Lexa just kept looking towards our SM.

"as we all know we are growing bigger almost every month and it seems that I am not seeing the end of it very soon. We will still be open for new hires, and thus needs additional exceptional and talented agents to join the training team and handle new waves." The SM gave us all a glance but is somewhat smiling when he look at me. My workmates seems excited for the opportunity while others are just indifferent.

"Oh come on" I mumbled to myself.

"So having said that, everyone is welcome to apply and get their career to another level. We will make sure to give you all the help necessary to get you through another journey of your life here in the company. Please do not hesitate to send us your letter of intent so we can all start the screening." He smiled and after a few more announcement he dismissed us.

"Sabi sayo eh, I saw that" (I told you, I saw that) Lexa said pertaining to her assumption that the SM is talking about me and the way he smiled at me.

"No thanks." I answered back.

"Bakit Naman? (Why is that?) you are the best candidate if ever. Plus you will definitely nail it. What's the difference between training a new wave and teaching children?" She asked stopping me from getting out of the conference room. Other workmates are already saying their goodbyes so they can go home and rest. I waved goodbyes to my team mates as they walk out. we all have different offs so others will still have a shift tonight.

But before I can answer, a voice came from the back that had me and Lexa suddenly turn.

"Oo nga naman Amara, (I agree Amara) why don't you try?" It's SM Kyle, he must have been eyeing me all this time so he can sneak up with our conversation. "I can really see the potential, I know you will do well in the training team, it will help you do what you love, teaching I mean, a better basic (meaning basic salary aside from bonuses and diffirentials), plus you will get to be with your best bud Chris. We all loved the Ara and Chris duo and you know that." He smiled fondly at me, and I can't help but smile back.

"I really do appreciate your confidence in me SM Kyle, but I must admit there's a lot on my plate right now and this is something I have not planned." I watched him nod at me as if in understanding but I know he is still determined to make me try it.

"But don't worry SM.I will think about it." (No you won't) my subconscious tells me otherwise.

"Sure, no rush. Think it through. And when you're decided, just hand me the letter and we'll see where we can go." He said while tapping me on my shoulder and excused himself. We just nod and smile at him as he exited the conference.

He is a man on his late 40s. 46? 47? I'm not sure. He literally aged here in the company. He started as a regular agent like me and worked his way up the ladder. I can only imagine how much this guy must have been earning now. 10 years in this business must be worth something!
Plus from what I've heard, he is still single and no plan of having a family anytime soon. Though we all look at him as our father.

"Girl, I tell you just try it. From what I am seeing, if you ever hand out your LOI to them they won't even consider anyone else. This one is yours" Lexa persisted while we walk through the main lobby and into the door. We badged our perimeter access badges and step out towards the elevator,I pressed the down button.

"I don't know Lexa. I just don't feel like this is for me." I answered as we hail the elevator.

"Alam mo, kung kasing galing mo ako, I'll do it. (You know what, If I were as good as you, I'll do it.) Work here is fun but talking 8 hours a day about the same concern and be cursed at too many times is just draining." She exhaled as we hit the ground floor. Our floor is just at the 3rd floor of the 10 storey building.

It is true. Work can be fun and exhausting at the same time, and if you won't find a way to relax and have other activities outside work, it can get to you really bad. You will end up to be out of shape and lifeless as zombie. A lot of my workmates have gained weight due to the monotonous routines, and I don't know if I have just been smart to make sure to hit the pool at least once every two weeks or I just haven't stayed in the industry long enough.

"I will think about it lex" I smiled at her and exchange kisses before waving goodbye.

"Okay, thank care Ara" she smiled and turned a different direction while I wait for a cab.