Chapter 7 (Edited)

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day

have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy

triumph over me? Psalm 13:2

I looked up after I had finished the song, to see the gray eyes of my mother. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears while she heard me finish the song. I placed my guitar down and walked over to her, pulling her into a hug. "I'm sorry that I wasn't here," I whispered, my voice cracking. I cleared my throat and blinked away the tears. Stay strong, I scolded myself. No emotion.

"It's fine," Mom said, hoarsely as she hugged me. "You did him proud by finishing and winning the race. I just wished that he was here to tell you, himself."

"You did us all proud, Em," a familiar voice said.

I looked up to see a female, that was slightly older than my mother and younger than my deceased father. She smiled at me sadly. Her dark black hair was in a tight bun, which was on the back of her head. Her blue eyes, which usually sparkled with laughter, sparkled with unshed tears.

"He fought very hard with the cancer, but in the end he lost."

I nodded my head. "Thank you for being there, Doc," I said. "Through everything."

Dr. Agetha smiled at me. "Actually, thank you, Em," she said. "If it wasn't for your sudden birth..."

Mom got me out of her arms and looked at me, a small smile on her face. "Then, we would've never knew this place."

"And without all of your riding injuries, then we wouldn't have gotten to know each other better," Dr. Agetha added.

I smiled at her, before I looked at my mother closer. I was stunned at how older she looked, even though she wasn't a day older 25.

Yes, I'm trying to make her feel a little better, because she's 42, but... she didn't look like it. Right now, she looked like as if she was in her late forties, early fifties. Her auburn hair was not as shiny as it had been before Dad got sick with cancer.The most prominent feature that had made her look older than she was, were the dark circles underneath her gray eyes. Some days the dark circles didn't look like it was a problem, but other days, like today, it was very prominent.

"Hey, Mom," I said, getting an idea. "Why don't Jason take Jaz, Patrick, Lilly, and I home, and you finish up here. When you get home, then we'll keep Lilly and Patrick quiet while you get some sleep."

"Hey, I'm not that loud," Patrick said, folding his arms across his chest and pouting.

"Sometimes, you are," Mom replied, glancing at him before she looked at me. "What about your shower? You're covered in dirt and mud."

"And stuff that you don't want to know," I replied, grimacing. "But, that is why I said for us to leave now. I'll be done before you get home."

"What about the chores and stuff?"

"Me, Duke, José, Jason, Cameron, Matthew, Red, and new kid-"

"Gabriel," I interjected.

"Yes, Gabriel, can take care of the chores," Jessica said giving Duke a look, as if to say, 'don't mess with me', when he had opened his mouth to protest.

Duke closed his mouth and sighed, before shaking his head. He stayed silent, knowing that he wouldn't win this battle.

"I could help, also, after I finish my shower and start to cook dinner," I added.

"Mi madre (my mother) could always cook," José said. "I'll just have to ask her to make it less spicy."

"Are you telling me that you don't like my cooking?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest and frowning.

"I'm not saying that, Señorita. I'm just saying that I would like to keep my food down for a bit."

"And for it to stay going one way," Jessica added.

"Well, we'll let Señora Gonzalez do the cooking, then."

"Bu-"

"You can't cook, Em. We need all the help we can get for taking care of the farm, for the next week or two," she said, holding up her hand to silence me. "Now, get going and get on home. I'll be home in about an hour or so."

Jason nodded his head. "Yes, Ma'am," he said.

Mom pulled her keys out of her pocket and tossed them to me. "Em's driving the van, so hand me over the truck keys."

Jason tossed her the keys, grinning. "I all ready knew what you were thinking, Mom."

"Come, Nila," I said, while I turned around to face the door. "Well, the Castille bus is leaving now, so whoever is not in it, will be left."

"Or, we'll give you a ride," Jessica said, while she followed me out, pulling Duke after her.

"Nah, everyone's coming," Jason said. "But Em, you need to carry-"

"I'm covered in filth, Jason. Besides, I think Jaz got her." I glanced at my 12 year old sister, raising an eyebrow.

"Am I complaining?" she asked, as she moved her auburn hair out of her face, so that Lily couldn't reach it.

"You're not making a sound, so I was just wondering."

"I'm fine," she said, coldly.

"All right," I replied, holding my hands up in mock defeat. "Just making sure that everything is alright."

"Everything is."

"All right."

"All right."

"Fine."

"Fine."

"Get into the elevator."

"Ugh," Jaz said, rolling her eyes and getting into the elevator.

Well, isn't somebody in a bad mood?