H.

The car glided through the midnight streets,
No one else in sight, Music being my only passenger. The radio playing a familiar melody, I was singing along.
The radio static grew louder and the song became the voices of people I knew,
"Turn around", "speed up", "run the light" each time it grew louder, the volume knob was no longer of any use. They became distracting.
Panicked, I began accelerating, my head spinning from the deafening noise.
The road seemed endless as the car rolled faster and faster, anxiety pulsating through every vein.
In the distance I could see a few shadows at a crosswalk. My eyes shot wide and I tried to slow down, the voices only screaming louder.
I got closer and closer, the shadows gaining color in my headlights, they stood frozen.
I was only a few feet away when I was finally going slow enough to brake without major damage.

I slammed the pedal and earned a jerk forward, the radio, the music, the voices, finally quiet.
I caught my breath against the steering wheel before looking up towards the people in the street.

Three boys, familiar faces, looked back at me. One came around and opened the door of the vehicle. I stepped out to see that the outside of the car was totally trashed, I wasn't sure from what exactly, but there were dents and mud everywhere. The freckled-faced friend pulled me towards the crosswalk and away from the car just as smoke started rising from it.

The four of us together moved away from the car as it went up in flames.
I was thankful he pulled me out,
I had stepped out of the voices.