W.J.

I stood in front of the store window, sheltered from the pouring rain. The whole day had been gloomy, and I wasn't feeling too bright either.
I had walked around to shop for things we needed at home, but everywhere I went it felt like people were staring, whispering amongst themselves.
I looked at the window, it was dark inside, there was no merchandise either. It was in a plaza, the store was put up for lease.
Still, I looked at the window for I could see my reflection. Something was different, it was awkward. I used to imagine myself with bright eyes and a constant smile, but over time, something changed. Something was inside my head.
As if on cue with my thoughts, the voices started again. Telling me things I didn't want to believe, but started to. It felt so heavy.
The voices weren't yelling like I knew they did before, they were whispering. Each word was a stab in the chest.
I stepped into the rain, wishing for the voices to stop, to end their torment.

My shoes became soaked and my feet began to hurt as much as my head.
I stood there in the rain for hours, soaked, sick, sad. The voices lead me further into the rain, further to tears. I wandered aimlessly like a drunkard.

But then they stopped. They just stopped.
My eyes widened in disbelief and I noticed the seven boys surrounding me, each with a gentle, sympathetic smile. The oldest of them stood just in front of me.
"Hi" I smiled shyly
The boys' smiles grew brighter and we laughed awkwardly together.
The oldest boy took my hand and pulled me through the rain to wherever we were going.
Away from the voices.