Chapter 12

"What do you mean you're moving?!" Gidget cried. Behind her, Hu was playing with a ball of yarn while Snowball and Daisy were as still as statues, their jaws having had dropped and shock written on their faces. They were in the crazy cat lady's apartment to find boxes everywhere. There was a moving van outside and two men were helping the old lady load everything inside the back. The cats who lived with her were either in her black car parked outside in front of the moving van or were still inside the apartment grabbing their belongings.

Sitting before Gidget was Big Ben, the largest cat living with the old lady. His yellow eyes had a sympathetic look in them as he meowed, "I'm very sorry my queen but we are." Glancing over at a brown tabby and a calico escorting their litters of kittens towards the open front door, he added, "The neighbors had been filing complaints and we were told to either move or be rehomed. We're going to a nice big place out in the country where there's plenty of room for everyone... but Hu." With those words, everyone looked over at the white Bengal tiger in the room.

"There's got to be plenty of room for him in the country," Daisy protested, her face filled with worry. Wrapping his tail around his large paws, Big Ben replied, "I think I worded that wrong. You see, everyone is afraid that someone here is going to see him. It's bad enough that we're being forced out of our home. If someone finds out that he's here, we're all being rehomed whether we like it or not. Plus, I don't think Hu wants to leave since he's friends with all of you." He pointed at the tiger who was licking Snowball's face.

"I guess this is the last time we'll be seeing you my queen," Big Ben murmured. The cats who were remaining in the apartment heard his statement and gasped dramatically. One feline who was up on a cat tower fell off from surprise. Landing on his feet, the orange tabby cat cried, "Who's going to lead us now?!" The cats began a chorus of wails. Looking around the apartment, Gidget gave a sharp bark, silencing everyone. All eyes were on her as the Pomeranian went on, "I'm the queen, aren't I? I can choose who will be your new ruler." Gesturing her paw towards Big Ben, she went on, "I appoint Big Ben as your new king." The yowls of panic now turned to joy. The large cat bowed his head to Gidget, his movement followed by the other cats.

Turning towards Daisy, Snowball mumbled, "Now what are we going to do?"