Chapter 14

Meanwhile...

As Randy and Jenn slowly amble their way out of the corridor, Randy stopped. His eyes widen, seeming to have realised something.

"What's the matter?" Jenn couldn't help but ask.

"Miss Nancy saw the figure in the black cloak, right?"

Jenn nodded slowly, not knowing where this was heading.

"That means Master Nicholas is going to ask her to dance!" Randy's arms started to flail.

Jenn covered her mouth.

"Oh no...he's not going to do that..is he?" Jenn clearly concerned.

"I'm afraid he will, Jenny. I'm afraid he will."

"But she has a whole life in front of her! She wouldn't want to stay here!"

"I know that." Randy said.

He paused to think. After thinking, he turned to Jenn.

"I think we got a girl to rescue. Let's go."

The two immediately galvanise into action. They scramble through the shortcuts, trying to get to Nancy the fastest way possible.

"Dammit, Jenny. This old bag of bones hasn't ran in years. Go on without me." Randy said while pausing to gasp for air.

Jenn rolled her eyes.

"Seriously, Randall. Stop being such a lazy butt and get them legs movin!"

Randy scowled and mimicked Jenn in an annoying high voice. Jenn rolled her eyes again and Randy jogged behind her.

Back at the ballroom

"Dance? That's the event you were talking about? You wouldn't let me go, just so you could dance? What the hell." Nancy crossed her arms tightly and looked away, anger apparent in her words.

"Now, detective. You promised me you would listen to whatever I told you to do if you wanted escape." Master Nicholas didn't sound very happy anymore.

"Ok. Firstly, stop talking to me in that tone! I'm not some 5 year old that needs to be pacified. I am a detective, and you better give me some goddamn respect. Secondly, I don't know how to dance anyway, so don't bother trying."

Master Nicholas stood back. No one ever talked to him like that before. He didn't feel mad, though. He chuckled.

"Well firstly, I'm sorry, Miss Nancy." He said, clearly emphasising 'Miss Nancy'. "Secondly, I can teach you how. It'd be a waste not to dance with such a stunning lady."

Nancy was confused. Didn't he just call me a whore a few minutes ago?

Finally obliging, Nancy turned to face him. "Fine, but only one dance."

He grinned. "One dance is all I need."

She reached out her hand, preparing to accept his.

Just then, the door flew open. "Miss Nancy, don't!"