c-eighteen-

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

~.*.*.*.~

It’s only 08:40 pm when I am back to the room. I have no idea what Harry meant. The spot where he kissed my head is still tingling and it’s all new to me. I am being fed the data fast and I am processing them all too slow.

I have a job to join tomorrow and I am unprepared absolutely. I think it is better to sleep. I lay down once I turn all the lights off, and there is no sound other than the shallow rumbling of something in the ducts overhead.

Let’s just say it has been a busy day, so I fall asleep immediately after I set the alarm clock for six thirty in the morning.

***

“Abigaaaaaaaaaaailllll!” Harry’s shout can be heard ten doors down. I am struggling to cook some eggs for both of us and I almost drop them on the ground. Been turning into a housewife lately.

“A desperate housewife.” The inner voice speaks.

“What?” I run towards the source of the din once I put the gas off.

“Why are your underwear on my table?” he has just woken up and his voice Is heavy from sleep. He is wearing nothing and his lower half is covered under a thick white comforter. His eyes are slits from being unable to adjust to the morning light; his tousled hair adorning his forehead. 

“The dryer’s broken, remember?” and you were sleeping with the fans switched on. I only utilised some electricity.” I say pretty matter-of-factly.

I feel so funny about the fact that my underwear was the first thing that he happened to lay his eyes on in the morning, sadly enough; they were not Victoria Secret crap.

“Please take them away.” He sounds pleading, closes his eyes and falls back onto his bed. Within seconds, snores escape his mouth.

I still am standing there, staring at him like an idiot. The moment realisation hits, I turn on my heels and get back to work. I just stuff the bread and eggs that I have boiled in my mouth and gag. Bland, pathetic- but food, so I guess I’ll survive. There is still twenty minutes to nine and I can easily take a nap and never wake up. But this is my shot at doing something good, something on my own and for the first time, I am willing to sacrifice anything that it takes to make up for the last twenty years spent in doing nothing.

The sky is clear and it makes me feel so alive. I jog slightly en-route. Cheap trainers are also comfortable, never knew; I can run in them all day and never get tired.

There is a little crowd of parents outside the school gate and little clusters of kids inside. They are already playing, mothers are talking and dads…are being dads.

“Good morning.” A voice calls behind me.

“Good morning ma’am.” I said in a false mirth after recovering from the mini heart attack that I get when people say something from behind. I am jumpy, you bitch! On the bright side, I needed someone more familiar looking and she couldn’t be a better choice. “Let’s catch up a little in my office?”

Professional and creepy. Okay.

I follow her into the office where we had met the day before.

“This is Arethra. She will be assisting you as it is your first day here today.” Arethra is a short and healthy woman. She has cropped hair and bright eyes. “hello,” she beams at me and I nod and smile. I seem to like her already. She reminds me of Meril, my house cleaner at home… damn it! My then home.

“This,” she looks towards a man in the room, “is Roald. He is the man in charge of your block. Any problem- child’s sickness, detention, fights…anything, you go to him.” Roald looks middle aged and flashes a toothy smile. “he is very responsible.” Principal adds.

“Hi.” I say. He will be a man of great help when I screw everything up. well then, might as well show my greatness towards him.

“There are other teachers too. But you won’t be needed to interact with them a lot, it is only a four hour school I mean, Arethra here will show you the staff’s lounge if you want to spend the recess with the teachers, otherwise you can be out supervising the kids on the ground, I mean it is completely up to you.” I am at a loss of words, too many things to remember, unprepared as a newborn and at this point I don’t even seem to be able to recall the formulas.

Damn you Abby, should have done some reading on Google.

***

Four hours pass away with the wind and I am already finding my way back home. I stop by Harvey approach for a cup of coffee from the machine. They’re exceptionally cheap and refreshing as ever. Why did we ever need Starbucks? 

To talk about school, Arethra was a sweetheart; a lovelier person than I thought her to be. She had been assisting me all day, never leaving me alone for a bit. The children were sugar, but not too candied. It seemed a long time ago someone talked to me with some respect.

The door swings open with the sight of Harry sprawled on the couch and watching telly, or wait! He’s asleep with the blanket crumpled by his feet. There is a slight frown on his face and his lips look dry and pale. So, I decide with covering him up with the blanket, making sure to not touch any part of his, fighting against all my nerves which are urging me to do the opposite, to throw the blanket away, to wake him up, to kiss him wildly and to make him ride me. For the time being, I only try and not wake him up.

I walk towards the kitchen, of course I didn’t go to the teacher’s lounge. I don’t need to socialise more than I already am at the present. It is all so formal, decent and sober. It doesn’t involve getting drunk the night or sobering up by belching acid in the commode. This part is where you eat on your own money, well, not technically, but you do, and you deserve the sleep that you sleep. I am liking this part of me.

There is some take away pasta Bolognese sufficient to fill my appetite. I shovel it into the microwave and wait till it is somewhere close to warm. The moment of victory does take over me when I am able to stop the device before it beeps aloud, announcing that my food is ready, and announcing that I am back into the apartment Harry hated to share with me.

I am tired; heck tired. So I place the dishes in the sink and the cardboard boxes in the bin. I can clean these tonight. Just as I’m about to make a move for my room, I hear a deep, groggy voice call out, “Hey.”

~.*.*.*.~

Hey Guys, so I am so sorry for updating after ages, if you can read and share this, I'll literally be motivated to update sooner. I love you guys, no matter what, please keep supporting me. 

Do not forget to VOTE

Love,

Bumblebee_Payne