Chapter 2:

Tasha: The feeling. Like I was floating, between two things, but I couldn't reach either of them to stay balanced. I floated slowly, weightlessly toward one thing, but it was still so far. Then, like a sudden force, I was jolted backwards, landing like I had fallen from the sky and hit rocks.

I jolted awake, my body drenched in cold sweat. I touched my forehead, making sure I was still alive. I had had only a few dreams like these, where I was gone, dead, but also still alive. It was an in between. I didn't understand the science, or the engineering, or anything about the situation.

"Nightmare, miss?" AVIS asked.

"Yeah," I said, getting up out of bed and walking onto my balcony. My body was tired, but my mind told me I couldn't go back to sleep, out of fear of having another dream like the one that had just past.

I sighed. I walked into my room, then through the halls to the door to the workshop. I went in, sitting down on a work bench. I rolled my shoulder once and my armor came out on that arm. I grabbed a sander, looking at the scratches, and dents in in the metal. I knew the dents would cause me pain if they stayed there. It made it harder for the armor to go back into my back, and it made it hurt. I got started removing the dents in the arm, sanding out the scratches.

Sometime around 6:30 the next morning, Tony came downstairs. "You're up early," he remarked. He looked at the arm. "Nice work," he noted.

"Thanks," I said, "Dents hurt going back in."

"I'm sure," he said, "Have you been up for a while?"

"Since 2," I said.

"Ouch," he said.

"Couldn't sleep," I said, "Bad dream."

Tony swallowed, "What sort?"

"The sort where I'm somewhere in between living and being dead, but I can't keep a firm grasp on either," I said, "They've been happening since DC."

Tony sighed, "I told you to stay home."

"I can handle nightmares," I said, "I can't handle the thought of knowing how many people would have died if I hadn't done anything."

"You know, you don't have to do this whole brave superhero charade right now," Tony said.

"I'm fine," I said, "Can we move on?"

"I don't know," Tony said, "Just promise you'll tell me about these dreams, okay?"

"Sure," I muttered. Tony didn't seem convinced, but he let it go.

Later that day, I got a call from Steve. "Steve!" I answered excitedly.

"Tasha," he said, "Uh, how are you?"

"Oh you know," I said.

"Having nightmares? Not wanting to close your eyes?" Steve asked.

"Sometimes?" I asked, "Did Tony talk to you?"

"No," Steve said, "Why."

"Nothing," I muttered.

"Hey, I was wondering, what are you doing the week of April 11th?" Steve asked.

"Uh, nothing," I said, "Why?"

"I'm planning a trip to Malibu," he said, "Pretty sure I signed up for an Understanding Technology and the 21st Century class there."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yeah," Steve said, "I've never been to California. I think its time I came."

"I can't believe you!" I said, laughing, "I can't wait."

"You might have to a little, but only for a few weeks," he said.

"I'm counting the days," I said.

Then I hung up.

Tony: Tasha was up early every morning. One night, on my way to bed, I heard her scream in her sleep. So I called Fury.

"Fury," I said.

"Stark," he said, "Surprising that you would call me."

"I know right. And on a totally non-selfish reason too," I said, "This is about Tasha."

"What about her?" he asked.

"She's not doing well after DC," I said.

"So you're an over protective parent huh. Sucks for me," he said.

"What?" I asked, "No!" But it did get me wondering. Was I? No. Who was I kidding? I was too awesome for that! "No, I was just wondering if you could give her something to do," I said.

"Like what?" he asked.

"Some SHIELD job. Something that makes her feel good, and can give her enough adrenaline to keep her mind off almost dying," I said.

"Its not my job to babysit your daughter," Fury said.

"Just give her something to do," I said, "Please."

"Was that a Tony Stark please?" Fury asked.

"Sure," I said, "You may want to save the recording of this for your ringtone or something. Because you aren't going to hear it twice."

"We'll start her training in LA. Then we'll talk," Fury said. Then the line went dead.

"Thanks," I muttered.