Day 24

I don't own any books mentioned in this chapter.

The same man sat at the same table everyday. He bought a new book each day and read it for hours. He always came for new books. That's how I first noticed him. Actually I first noticed him when I saw his clothing. It was always outrageous and flamboyant, but he worked it. He was beautiful. Brown skin, tall, lean, wore makeup that looked good on him. He was a sight to see everyday, but I was just Alec. An employee at some random book store. Closeted, too. He wouldn't notice me. I'm not even the one who charges his books! My friend, Amaia, always does. Maybe he likes her... "Alec!" Amaia yelled. Stop daydreaming. I need you to help a customer."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Where are they?"

"The man over there. The one who always comes in. He's looking for a specific book." I automatically knew who she was talking about. She's doing this on purpose I swear. She knows I like him. Can I even say that? I've never even talked to him! "Alec. Just go. I notice you stare at him every day. You drool enough to fill a pool."

"I do not drool!"

"I know. Now go get some work done." Sometimes it pays to be friends with the manager, other times it doesn't. As I made my way over to him, my palms started to sweat. He's was very tall. Taller than me, even. I'm taller than everyone. "Do you need any help, sir?" He looked at me. His eyes were a light green. I liked them.

"Yes. I was looking for a book called 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner. Can you help me find it?" He had a slight accent, but I couldn't tell what it was.

"Umm, yeah. Follow me. I'll show you where it is. I shoved my hands down my pockets and made it towards the young adult section. I picked out the book he wanted and handed it to him. "This is it."

"Thank you." He started to flip through it.

"Your welcome." He went over to Amaia to buy it, then he sat at the same table. After he sat down, I went over to Amaia. "Oh my God I was so awkward." I buried my face in my hand and rested my elbows in the counter.

"Watching a love-struck Alec is better than most the books in the store, and there's a lot of great books in this store."

"I don't love him. I haven't even talked to him," I groaned.

"Then why don't you? He's going to be here a while. He always is."

"I'm not," I hissed.

"Oh yes you are. Your love life is boring, he is clearly not boring. It's a perfect match if you ask me."

"I'm only wearing clothes that fit because I have to. My sweaters are two sizes too big. His jeans are two sizes too small."

"They say that opposites attract."

"Shut up," I scowled. I'm acting like a schoolgirl, but I can't help it. In my defense, Amaia is being difficult. He sat at the same table, reading a book.

Hours passed and it was almost time for me to head home. Home as in a small apartment I share with my sister and a cat. It was good enough, though. I had a bed to sleep on and air conditioning to keep me cool. There was only thirty minutes until I had to leave to do my homework for college, and he was still there. He seemed to be almost halfway finished with the book. Amaia wasn't around at the moment, and the store was almost empty. Might as well. I made my way over to the table and just stood there awkwardly. "Is it a good book? I've never read it." Stupid. He looked up from his book the first time since he got here.

"Yeah, I like it. You should read it sometime."

"I'll consider it. You come here often, but I don't know your name."