Reconciliation

I cradle the ball in the net as I stare down the goalie. I take a deep breath in and clear my mind. I focus on one thing and one thing only, the goal. I run and gain speed until I reach an adequate distance and launch the ball. It forces its way past the goalie and gets caught in the goal.

You can do better Kaylee.

I go back to my original position, and readjust my gear before taking a stance again. I run towards the goal, remembering to cradle the ball. I take a shot. Swoosh. Goal.

"Are you trying to kill me?" the goalie sasses towards me.

Obviously they don't know what it's like to push yourself.

"I'm trying to better myself" I barked back.

I took my helmet off my head, and slowly tossed my head around to let the wind fix my hair. At some point I turn my head to the right, and see a somewhat familiar face. I focus in on the person.

"Scott?!" I yell with a huge grin on my face.

I start running to the boy across the field and drop my gear. Within a matter of seconds, I'm in his grasp as his arms wrap around me.

"Oh my god kaylee! It's so good to see you" he states in my ear.

We both release that hold we have on each other and I look at the boy to the right of him.

"Stiles?" I question.

"Nice to see you baby K" he smiled pulling me into a hug. He pats my back, and we release from our hug.

"Kaylee what are you doing here?" Scott asks me, observing my outfit.

Grey Nike compression long sleeve. Black running shorts. Compression Brace on my left knee. Black Nike cleats.

"Trying out obviously" I laugh heading back to grab my gear.

➖➖➖

I walked into the boy's locker room following Scott and Stiles.

"Hey, Liam. You wanna explain what that was out there?" Stiles asked.

"What do you mean?" Liam's asked becoming confused

"That little display. That little circus act." Stiles demanded.

"What circus act?" Liam's face grew more confused.

"You caught, every shot" Stiles spat in annoyance.

"I was in goal" Liam replied bluntly

"Yeah, but not a single shot got past you." Stiles spat again.

"Stiles. That's how you play lacrosse." My face became confused.

"Who's side are you on?" he looked at me confused. So I just put my hands up saying I'll back off.

"Again. Not a single shot got past you" Stiles spat at Liam again.

"Yeah I was goalie. You guys played this game before?" Liam questioned between the three of us.

"Hey, I can play lacrosse just fine. Leave me out of this." I stated, annoyed at Liam.

"You're a freshman, right?" Scott asked Liam.

"Yeah" Liam responded.

"But you weren't here last semester" Stiles chimed in.

I cleared my throat. "Neither was I."

"No one asked you Kaylee" Stiles snickered. whatever.

"I transferred from Devenford Prep." Liam said.