Difficulties

Mason and I hung out with Liam in the weight room. Mason goin off about something, Liam was bench pressing, and I was trying to finish last nights math homework without crying about the amount of pain I was still in.

"You know how I keep reminding Garret to give me back my hoodie?" Mason asks.

"Yeah" Liam replies, standing up to add more weight.

"Well, I remember you said he lived i. that housing development on Spaulding. So I went there, and guess what?" He noted.

"He doesn't live there?" I chimed in, holding my wrists.

"Well, I mean- That housing development is still in development." Mason stated. "And what happened to your wrists?" He asked me.

"Curling iron" I quickly answered.

"But your hair is in braids" he said.

"Exactly" I told him

"So what? Liam asked him

"There are no houses yet. So unless the dude lives in some backhoe, there's something he's not telling us" He said. "And then there's this other dude, man. He's been acting really strange. Running to school for no reason. Disappearing at parties. Used to be my best friend." Mason added.

"Uh-huh" Liam replied. I look up, and see Liam lifting at least 300 pounds.

"And he was apparently on steroids" He continued, making me scramble to my feet.

"What?" Liam asked.

"You're not actually going to lift that, are you?" Mason asked.

I looked at Liam, my eyes showed I was shocked. I tried mouthing to him not to. He sat up, and examined the plates on the bar. I walked to the bench and sat down i front of Liam.

"Are you all right? I mean is this about the game tonight? " Mason asked.

"I'm fine." Liam sassed, taking both of my hands in his. "It's just a scrimmage."

"You k ow who you're playing right?" I asked Liam, looking him with concern.

"Yeah." he stayed in confidence. "I mean, no" he corrected himself. "I guess I missed the announcement."

"Liam" I started, causing him to look me in the eyes. "It's your old school." I continued.

"Devenford Prep" Mason finished.

Liam looked at Mason with nerves in his eyes. Mason eventually got up and left, but Liam and I stayed.

"You'll be okay" I told Liam.

"I'm sorry" he said instead, changing the subject.

"Liam it's-" I started, but he pushed up my sleeves and removed the bandages on my wrists.

"Kayls" he began getting choked up.

"I'm fine Liam." I insisted.

"And I hurt you Kaylee" he argued.

"I'll heal" I smiled at him, hoping to lift the mood.

"I'll never forgive myself" he whispered.

I pulled him into a hug, wrapping my arms around his neck, and him wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

"But I forgive you" I whispered into his ear.

➖➖➖

It was after school, and Liam and I were hanging out together in the courtyard, when the Devenford Prep bus arrived.