Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Brianna

It was the middle of summer and my family has decided to move to Oklahoma. I don't want to move. I've lived in New York my entire life. My parents say change is good, but I don't see how they could be right. I'm leaving my whole life behind.

I look out the window of my seat on the plane. The world I once knew is now so far away. The plane was silent besides the constant roaring of the engine. I just wanted to tune out the world and pretend I was in a different place. So that's exactly what I did. I took out my ipod and put it on shuffle. Unfriend you came on. This was one of my favorite songs ever. Greyson's voice was just so heavenly. It took me away to a better place.

Unfortunately, I had to come back. My mom pulled out my earphones and said "Bri, we've landed". I gather my carry on items and slowly walk off the plane. We make our way to baggage claim. Looking around even the people are different. Everyone talks different, acts different and just move slowly. I could already tell I wasn't going to like it here.

The car ride to our new house was quiet. No one said a word for 30 minutes until the silence was broken by my dad announcing our arrival. The house was alright looking. The yard was huge and it had a cottage appeal to it. I look around and see children about the block. My parents tell me to go make some friends as they start unpacking our stuff.

I travel down a couple of houses until I come across a boy about my age. I walk up to him and greet him with a fake smile. His name was Colin. He was alright looking, but I mean, he was no Greyson. We chat for a bit. Colin was in my grade and was going to be my neighbor for as long as I lived here so I figured I might as well get to know him.

Colin asked me to wait outside for a second because his friend was inside taking a dump. I make a slightly uncomfortable face and say "sure". I make my way to his porch and sit on the steps. The pavement was hot from the sun's warmth. I hear the screen door open then close. I look up to find myself face-to-face with Greyson Chance.