Chapter twenty

Tris POV:

After what feels like days the glass pane disappears and me and Katniss are free. Arms encircle me and hold me until I feel strong enough to move. I raise my head to look at Four and I burst out crying. "Shhh, it's okay, it's okay. You're safe now." Four whispers in my ear.
"Water." I croak.
"I'll get it" Finnick says.
"Thanks" Four says. I hear Katniss move to go to Peeta and for a moment I feel guilty about not asking how she was. I stand to go sit on the beach. I need to get out of this place. I sit with the sand tickling my feet. Finnick sits next to me. "Who's Poppy?" I ask my voice still slightly hoarse.
"Remember Katniss' first games, she volunteered? Poppy is her sister. They've been through a lot." I nod my head. Will had joined us and was fiddling with the wire he had picked up at the cornucopia. "I think I've got an idea." He says to us. Finnick stands and gathers everyone so that Will can express his idea. "Why aren't the Careers on the beach?" He asks with an edge to his voice.
"Because we are here." Four says smiling.
"And if we left they would come here, right?" We all nod. "At 12 lightning strikes that tree. If we wrap this wire around the tree and lead it into the sand it will electricute them."
"How do we know it will work?" Peeta asks, concerned.
"Because I made it." Will finally looks up at us. "I assure you it will work."
"It's worth trying. If it doesn't work then no harm done, right? What do we have to do?" Peeta asks.
"Protect me until midnight."

Everyone agrees and does their own thing waiting until its time for us to leave. Me and Four get some alone time on the beach because everyone is focused on protecting Will.

I rest my head on his shoulder. "I think we should leave. Once the Careers are dead we have to kill each other. Only one of us will get out of this alive and I don't want to be the one to shoot first."
"What if they don't either? Look I think we should go along with the plan. If it doesn't work then we'll leave. Okay?"
I nod "Okay."
"I don't know what promises you made with Haymitch but I made some too. If it comes to just you and me then you have to survive." He pulls out his locket and opens it, revealing pictures of my family. I shake my head. "Nobody needs me Tris. They need you."
"That's not true. I do. I need you." He kisses me, passionately. I don't want it to end but he pulls away. "If you die, I die too" I whisper and he nods. I kiss him again.
"Alright star crossed lovers! Time to go!" Finnick yells.

Word Count: 474