Chapter 74: The Prelude

Okay, why do you guys keep on saying 'Esmeralda?'

It's Esmerelda. EsmerElda. Letter E, not A. There's a subtle difference. The one with the letter 'a' sounds cheap and fake, while the one with the 'e' sounds classy. Esmerelda Ytteria Evanesca. That sounds right. Lol.

For clarification purposes only. Bye.

TheAshtone

●●●

Ike's POV

A lot of people say that when you dread the arrival of something, it will actually come a lot faster than what you were expecting. Personally, I couldn't agree more because I've experienced the exact same phenomena numerous times already throughout my life. Just like now, the very few weeks that separated the middle of January and the first week of February seemed to have evaporated in a blink of an eye.

That dreaded day has finally come, and we have no choice but to face it. Tonight, our team will be facing Sierra in the highly anticipated Finals of the Collegiate Magical Mayhem Tournament.

First thing I did when I woke up was call my family who will be watching the game later this evening. Professor Elena's going to teleport them here in Emerald later this morning. As expected, my hysterical mother told me to take extreme care in tonight's game, while my loose father just wished me luck and told me how proud he is of me.

It's still pretty dark outside when I woke up, so I decided to take a quick jog after calling my parents. RB was the first person that I saw the moment I opened my room's door. It seems that he's also going for a jog. Upon seeing me, RB gave me a faint smile before wrapping his arms around my body and giving me a tight hug.

"Let's go," he said before taking my hand and leading me towards the magical elevator. I just followed him without saying any word.

"Were you able to sleep at all?" asked RB as we stepped outside the Topaz Building and into the dark and cold morning.

"Hardly," I said as the two of us started jogging. "How about you?"

"Same. I was about to go to your room last night to spend the evening with you but I thought that maybe you need some time alone to gather your thoughts and concentration that's why I left you alone," RB replied.

"Dang it. My chest hurts from all the nervousness and excitement," I said while laughing a bit and clutching my chest.

RB also chuckled. "Same. This jogging is pointless. Let's just lie down on the grass or something. My knees are weak and wobbly from all the anticipation," he said before dragging me towards a nearby open field. The two of us collapsed on the grass and looked up at the sky still dotted with stars.

"Ah... This is so much better," RB said before snuggling close to me and resting his head on my arm. "Whenever I'm in a moment like this with you, I always wish that I could stop time."

"If you're just going to say a cheesy speech about your love for me, just please keep it to yourself. I'm not in the mood for cringeworthy expressions of love right now," I said.

He punched my abdomen as a reply. "At least I express my love for you, you insensitive jerk. You can't even say 'I love you' without rolling your eyes or sounding bored or annoyed."

I raised an eyebrow. "That's not true, you idiot. I'm a man of action, dude. I'd rather do it than say it."

"I can't argue with that," RB replied, burying his face on my jacket and inhaling deeply. "Ike really makes me feel loved... especially whenever we're in bed."