Chapter 78: The Monster Within

RB's POV

"So his weirdness had already manifested?" Professor Evanesca asked my parents. The celebration for my seventh birthday was just finished and it's already nighttime. I was just looking around the house for my parents to show them one of the gifts that I got when I saw them talking to my godmother in the backyard. Recognizing the serious looks on their faces, I just stood silently at the door and waited for them to finish.

"Yeah," my father, Carlo, replied. "Crystal Weirdness, just like the diagnosis said. It's really powerful and unique. He might even be the only Crystal Weirdo in this country."

"Is there any sign of any other weirdness?" Professor Evanesca asked.

"None, so far," my mother replied. "Crystal Weirdness must be his base power. This morning, he was able to produce crystal dust which looked a lot like amethyst. You can actually see it in his hair and eyes, Esmerelda. According to his diagnosis, he might also be able to produce stronger and rarer gemstones like sapphire and diamond when he grows up. What's really fascinating is that all his gemstones are genuine, if not better in quality. I think it would be better if we just all agree that his current weirdness is going to be his permanent weirdness for the rest of his life."

"We can't be complacent, Stella," Professor Evanesca said grimly. "If you notice any signs of a different weirdness manifesting in him, please tell me right away."

"Why are you so scared? No matter what weirdness manifests in him, we will always be here to guide him. Rubio is unique, and he's definitely going to be a powerful weirdo when he grows up. It's our responsibility to make sure that he becomes an upright person," my father said.

My godmother nodded. "I have a huge trust in your parenting skills, Carlo. However, bear in mind that there are weirdnesses in this world that are just so dark and destructive that it's utterly impossible to use them for any good. I am not saying that Rubio's headed towards that way. Considering his background, I just want to be sure that he has a safe future ahead of him."

"Are you still worried about what Jaeron might do?" my mother asked.

Professor Evanesca nodded. "Ending Serafina's reign didn't end all our problems. The Legion is desperate, and that means they're also extremely dangerous. I have reason to believe that Jaeron will do his best to ensure the continuity of the Legion of Death. For as long as Jaeron is free, I will never be at peace with Rubio's security."

"Come on, Esmerelda. We're here. You're here. It's been several years already since you defeated Serafina. Jaeron can't possibly stage a comeback with what's left of the Legion. Besides, even if he tries to abduct Rubio, we will be here to protect him to the death. Jaeron has to be really idiotic to try to go out in the open. For the record, he doesn't strike me as a mindless villain," my father replied.

My mother suddenly looked back and saw me standing at the door. Upon seeing me, she immediately approached me and knelt. The two others also fell silent in an instant.

"What are you talking about, mommy?" I asked her. "Is there anyone who wants to hurt me?"

"Of course not, Rubio. What are you even doing here? Daddy and I told you to rest already," she said before carrying me in her arms and walking back to Professor Evanesca and my father.

"I just want to show you this gift that I got, mommy," I replied.

"That looks really pretty, just like your weirdness. Now that you're here, why don't you show your Ninang Esme your weirdness? Come on," my mother said.