thirteen//back in time

I woke up the next day in my pink dress. Yesterday I got home very late, exhausted from a whole day of working with Cole. I carefully climb down the ladder and dress in my revealing clothes. I don't know what kind of work I will have to do with Cole, but I hope that it will be lighthearted. The Thought of having to go back to the fields with Eric sends a chill down my spine. I shiver.

Ellie is already awake, fully dressed, and looking at the door. "Hello, Ellie," I greet once I meet her. "I hope you are doing well," I say, tilting my head to the side. Ellie doesn't look over at me. "I need to change your bandage." She says, ignoring my statements. I show my bandage to her, and she removes it carefully, cleaning the wound with a wet cloth and replacing it with a clean dressing.

"Thank you," I state, trying to remember how to keep my voice dull. Ellie doesn't acknowledge the praise.

When Mother gets up, Ellie and I are almost ready to leave. Mother changes into her work clothes without as much as a glance towards me. When Ellie leaves for her Playtime, and I am preparing my coat, she speaks. "Maddilyn." Her voice is a hoarse whisper. "Are you happy?"

The forbidden Question rings in the air. I furrow my brows. Did Mother ask a Question? "Are you happy?" She repeats, her voice stronger this time. I look at her, searching her eyes desperately for answers. "Yes." I breathe, my voice shaking my mouth forms the words.

Mother smiles sadly and turns her back to me, facing the mirror. "Okay." Mother traces the edges of the glass mirror, and I am yet again reminded of the marks on her wrists. "Mother," I whisper. "Please tell me what are they doing to you?" Mother blinks, and her eyes linger closed a bit too long. "I am alright, Maddie. Worry about yourself." She smiles, and just as I think it is too good to be true, she lets out a soft gasp and her eyes harden. "Stop standing there are get on with your day." Mother says sharply.

I obey, putting on my coat and my shoes, but I hesitate at the doorknob, glancing back at Mother. "I will defend you, Mother, whatever they are doing to you."

The walk to the City Pointe is long and adventurous. There is a vast semi forest blanketing the Female's side of the City, and it is empty for miles around, just beautiful, lush green trees and their abundant flowers. Nature surrounds the bare part of the City, and the only sign of any humans around is the pavement which I am walking on, only large enough to fit an Advisor's car running back and forth. There is an unpleasant honk from behind me, ruining my pleasant walk, and I step aside to kneel with my head bowed as the Advisors' car pass by.

When the car disappears, I continue my journey.

I pick a picking up a beautiful red rose. The rose is the color of blood like someone had taken a white rose and spilled their blood all over the flower. I close my eyes. The red rose is one of the Elder's most famous symbols of their power.

But flowers always bring butterflies.

I let the rose drop to my side, petals flying and landing on the pavement behind me.

Once I cross the border, you can tell that I have already. There are patrols of Advisors guarding the border, but once I tell them my situation, they immediately let me pass. The Males' side of the City is filled with huge buildings, overflowing with busy Males. The life of the Males has always intrigued me, what was the point of huge buildings when you could have smaller ones? Even though I ask the Question, I know the answer. Luxury. The Males find no point in providing us with luxury, so they take it all for themselves. I close my eyes briefly. I don't need luxury, so it has never been a point of desire for me.

There is a shout of anger as I nearly bump into a Male crossing the street. "Hey! You, you-" His voice shakes in anger. "You just watch where you're going, you stupid Female!" He clenches his fists and makes an angry, growling sound. The Male with him turns to look at me, and when I see him, my heart stops. Oh, just great.