Wearing Thin

"All right, you know what, this isn't even addressing the problem the slightest bit. I'll go." Emily started to stand, bag already swinging from beside her to her shoulder, but Spencer reached for her elbow almost as if she was expecting Emily to do exactly what she just did. And maybe Spencer did. It was the day after -A pulled the stunt of entering Alison's room to prove that he or she had the ability to infiltrate their lives whenever they wished.

They had all decided that if their lives were affected in any way, then that would just mean that -A won. But not wanting to take any chances, Detectice Tanner already reached out, assigning a police officer right outside of Ali's room instead of the originally planned parked car outside of the hospital.

But just like the day before, Emily had been restless in class, and Hanna had to excuse the both of them when Emily was called twice and she wasn't paying attention. It was now lunchtime, and it was the most time they had to actually go out if they wanted to, so they can visit Ali.

"She has an armed police officer outside of her room. We're being careful," Spencer reassured, hand tight over Emily's elbow knowing that Emily was strong enough that if her hold loosened a little, she would be able to get away easily.

"I don't think you understand what happened last night, Spencer."

Emily's voice was louder than they all expected, and she didn't really care. She wanted to see Ali. There was really only one way to make sure that Ali was safe and that was if she herself checked up on the blonde. She would not be satisfied any other way.

Spencer suddenly stood, to Emily's surprise, and started to drag the other girl to the gym, the only place in school that would afford them privacy during lunch.

"All right, what's up with you? Just a few days ago you were really angry with Ali, and now you can't even spend part of a day away from her? What happened to not wanting to be manipulated anymore?"

Emily's eyes almost bugged out. "'What happened?'" Emily repeated, not sure if she'd heard correctly. "'What happened?'" She felt all the stress of the past few days suddenly crash over her. "Alison was kidnapped and hanged, Spencer! I don't think you understand the implications of that!"

"And you were trapped in a box and almost sliced into two. Aria was also trapped in a box and almost pushed out of a train. -A ran over Hanna." Spencer shook her head. "I understand you're worried, but so are we. But we can't just let -A run our lives but getting caught up in their games-"

"Games? You think this is all a game? There's all the more reason to try and do something to prevent anything else from happening! We can't just sit here and wait for -A to strike again!"

"We're not idle, Emily. We're finally coordinating with the police. They know someone's after us. We might not be able to tell them anything, but at least we have them on our side now."

"What the hell do you think they'd be able to do? Don't even pretend they don't think Ali staged that whole theater performance. You know Detective Tanner suspects that we all just made that up." Emily shook her head, ready to leave Spencer. She had to get to Ali. She'd just skip the afternoon classes. Alison needed her. She needed to be there for Alison now. She couldn't leave her again. Not again.

"You're letting her pull you in again. Pull away from us. You're making this too easy for -A. They already think you're-"

Emily was suddenly furious. "I'm what? What, Spencer? The weakest link? I don't care!" Unbidden, tears pooled into her eyes, and her next words ripped through her throat in anguish. "Do you know how it feels to watch the one you love die not once but thrice?! Do you know how it felt for me when she went missing? Or when we thought her body was found? Or when I watched her dangle over that stage-" Emily's fists clenched and her whole body was rigid with the anger and the worry and fear, and everything else she was feeling that was just weighing on her shoulders and ther was no one to share it with. "I almost lost her again!"

She exhaled on a sob, and Emily collapsed, only vaguely realizing that Spencer had caught her. "I almost lost her again," she whispered, her voice cracking, and her hand covering her mouth to muffle the cries that threatened to wrack her body. She shook her head as she let the tears fall, fear settling into her with a tight grip, constricitng her airways and Spencer had to remind her to breathe so she wouldn't faint.

Emily didn't know how long it was, didn't notice when Aria and Hanna had checked up on them and Spencer waved them off. When she calmed down enough, she asked again. "Will you let me go now?"

Spencer sat silent for a moment. She remembered when she saw the body at the woods thinking it was Toby. Nothing could compare to what had slammed into her when she thought he died. She didn't know what Emily was feeling now, especially when it wasn't just Ali she had lost in the past. And now she'd come close to losing Ali again.

"I'll drive you," Spencer answered, bringing Emily to her feet and waited until she was stable before walking out of the gym and towards her car. Emily followed her, hands still shaking slightly, but glad that Spencer was finally giving in.

When they were both settled into the car, Emily said. "Thanks, Spence."

Spencer only looked towards Emily, nodding once, before shifting the car into drive, and brought Emily to the hospital.