Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Placement

Laughter and ceaseless drivel mixed with the sound of the mixers and machines filled the air of Starbucks as November made a fat-free caramel macchiato on ice for what felt like the hundredth time today. She had begun to theorize that all perky long-haired blondes ordered one. They all seemed to have super bubbly names as well; Jinni, Stacy, Jackie, Ashley. They were all supernaturally tanned and spoke in high pitched voices, and she noticed that the majority of them paid with their Parent’s credit card. Every single one of them looked her over and grimaced in disapproval before placing their order and she was growing rather sick of it. This drink belonged to a Kristen with, of course, long blonde hair held back in a sleek ponytail.

November noticed that even though she was giggling incessantly with the boy behind her in line there was a deep sorrow in her eyes. Struck by curiosity she read the girls aura surreptitiously as she finished mixing her drink. She had just been dumped by her foot-ball player boyfriend and was kicked off the cheer squad because she slept with the captain’s boyfriend to get back at hers, but beneath all that was a deeper pain of a father who abused her and a mother who was never home because she loved her job more than her own child. She sighed, wishing she could help this girl somehow, but settled for giving her the macchiato and a kind smile.

“Fat-free Caramel Macchiato on ice for Kristin?” she asked dutifully. As a Starbucks employee, you were never supposed to give out a drink until you confirmed the customer’s order with a smile. It normally bothered her that she had to smile at all times, but at this moment the smile on her face was genuine.

“Uh, yah thanks.” Kristen sneered, eyeing her pale white skin as if it were some incurable, contagious disease.

“Have a nice day and come again.” She said, her smile faltering into a kind of forced grimace. Not everyone could afford to go to a tanning booth every weekend, besides the skin went with her vibrant red hair. Kristen left without a second glance and she took a calming breath.

“Hey, November, this customer is asking for you.” Her co-worker called from the cash register.

“Thanks Anna.” She groaned moving to the front, her mind still on Kristen.

“Ah, I would like a beautiful red-head with extra ferociousness.” A familiar voice broke her out of her trance and she felt her lips lift into a wide grin.

“Justin-sama! Is it half-past Noon already?” she exclaimed. He was decked out in black and hot pink today; a super tight hot pink tee with an artistic tracing of a guitar outlined in black across his chest was underneath a floor-length black hooded cape and black jeans sagged to the floor around hot pink converse. On his arms was the usual studded wrist band along with Jack Skellington arm warmers and his black and pink nails looked as if they had been touched up since yesterday. His makeup was simple; heavy coats of mascara and eyeliner, there was no eye shadow or lipstick today.

“Lucky for you.” He teased.

“Yes, I suppose so. What can I get for you?” she laughed.

“Surprise me.” He winked, handing her a ten.

“Alright, a red-head with extra ferociousness coming right up.” She sniggered, passing him his change.

“Perfect.” He replied. She shook her head, a smile still playing on her lips as she made him her favorite; Dark Chocolate Mocha with two shots and a hint of caramel.

“So how was the ride home? Spencer chew you out or what?” he raised his voice over the noise of the blender.

“No, he was bothered about being effortless to read.” She articulated, and then paused. “He asked me to be his Fourth.”

“Yah, he talked to us about that.” Justin said nonchalantly.

“Yes, I asked him to talk to the rest of you first. What was the conclusion?” she asked nervously.

“I can’t tell you.” He grinned mischievously.

“That is hardly fair, can’t you give me a small hint?” she whined, adding the extra caffeine shots with a flourish.

“Orders from the Alfa himself not to say anything.” He shrugged.

“I see. Where are the others?” she asked, pouring in the shot of caramel before stirring it once more by hand to mix in the flavors.

“They’re…busy.” He said evasively.

“Likely story, what are they doing?” she tittered airily.

“You’ll find out soon enough, my dove.” He assured her, reaching for his drink.

“I’m not done, and how soon is ‘soon enough’?” she demanded, giving him a generous amount of whipped cream before placing a lid on top, scrawling his name on the side and holding it just out of his reach.

“Come on, give it here.” He smirked at her.

“Not until you answer my question.” She replied tauntingly.

“After we pick you up later, ok? Can I have my drink now?” he chuckled.

“Yes, thank you.” She conceded, handing it to him. He read what she had put as his name and he glanced at her with an amused expression.

“Your Justin-sama, huh?”

“As I am your dove.” She winked.

“I like it. So what did you make me?” he smiled.

“Taste it first.” She encouraged. He took a long pull on his straw and his eyes lit up.

“Holy monkeys, that’s good! What is it?” he exclaimed, studying the cup as if it would reveal its secrets to him if he looked hard enough.

“Holy monkeys, really?” she giggled.

“Yah, monkeys are cool. Why can’t they be holy?” he challenged in a tickled tone.

“I have not heard that phrase before. It suits you. That,” she indicated his drink “is my usual; Dark Chocolate Mocha with two shots and a hint of caramel.”

“It’s super good.” He avowed.

“Why thank you, I am pleased you like it.” She shone. They gazed at one another for a moment and then she sighed. “I ought to get back to work; I am not paid to socialize after all.”

“Alright, I’ll come say goodbye before I head back.” He nodded.

“I should be off by then, why don’t you wait for a bit and I can walk you to class.” She suggested. His face became illuminated with excitement and she blushed with pleasure.

“That sounds great.”

“Wonderful, I’ll see you in twenty minutes then.” She twittered, making to pull away but he grabbed her arm to stop her.

“Wait,” he whispered.

“What?” she blinked. His aura told her nothing. What was going on?

***

CLIFFHANGER!!!!! VOTE and Comment for chapter 4!!!! I have it ready and waiting! But you have to VOTE and COMMENT for it! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (evil moment)

Love

~Kyu