Friends

The five of us stare at one another, unsure of what to do at the sudden knowledge that we pretty much had a "young Jedi" in our presence, as Dustin liked to put it.

Finally, the sun started to go down and  Mrs. Wheeler yelled up stairs that it was dinner time. Mike told me to stay up in his room with El to keep her company when they ate dinner and make sure that she didn't get caught, before leaving the room he promised me that they would try to be quick.

Not knowing what to do in Mike's room to pass time, El and I sit quietly on the opposite side of the room. For the second time today I'm greeted by my favorite thing in the world, unbearable silence.

"So you're kind of like Jean Grey, huh?" I go over to El and sit with my legs crossed. She scrunches her eyebrows at me in confusion, probably not knowing who I was talking about.

"Jean Grey. She's like this really cool mutant, she has so many cool powers. Like telekinesis, like you." My enthusiasm seems to be too much as she cautiously scoots away from me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. It's just, what you did before was really cool. If you don't mind me asking, where did you learn how to do, that?"

El's face suddenly goes cold as she stares off into the distance. Unsure of what she's doing or if I asked something I shouldn't have, I reach my hand out to touch hers to somehow bring her back.

For a brief moment she flinches and it's as if I can feel the fear and anxiety radiating off of her and I feel myself begin to become afraid and anxious as well, like the air was being vacuumed from my lungs.

I quickly take my hand away, trying to catch my breathe. El breaks out of her daze and looks around for a brief second seeming to not remember where she was until she sees me.

"Hey, hey are you ok? I'm sorry if that was too much for me to ask." I apologize to her taking her hand in my own, showing her that she was safe and ok.

"Bad people." Was all she could say as her eyes filled with tears. Feeling terrible for being the reason that she suddenly felt so afraid I take her into my arms and slowly rub her back.

"It's ok. You're ok, we won't let the bad guys get you. Trust me." I whisper to her and we stay like that for a while before she calms down.

After some more time passes, I decide to look through Mike's room seeing if there was any of his action figures, that we could play with. We play with them for a little while before taking a break.
***
"I have to run to the restroom real quick, but I'll be right back so just, just stay here until I get back ok?" I assure El, making sure that she understands that I wont be gone long.

She looks around with uncertainty before nodding at me, letting me know that she understood what I was telling her.

Sticking my head out of Mike's bedroom door I check the hallway to make sure that it was clear before running to the restroom. The coast was clear but I didn't know how long that would last so I take off down the hall, quickly closing the door behind me. I use this time to sort out my thoughts, not wanting to freak out in front of the young girl.

Ok so lets take a moment to go over the events of today shall we Charlie? Mike's brilliant plan didn't work and the mystery girl, who we now know is named El, is still here. But that's not that bad, right? I mean she doesn't seem like that bad of a kid and it would be a nice change to have another girl around the boys. But that's not the biggest issue right now, what's really important is she says there are "bad guys" after her and the other fact that the bad guys might have snatched Will up and could be after us right now. What are we going to do if they find us?! Ok think, think.... ohhh my god we're totally screwed.