Last Year's Struggles

I hummed brushing my hair as Nancy looked for an outfit to lend me since I forgot to pack clothes. "Does this work?" I heard her from the doorway. I turned to look at what she chose. A simple white dress with colorful shapes and patterns that decorated it. I smiled and nodded. "Yeah thats fine." I said and finished brushing my hair. She nodded hanging it on the doorknob of the bathroom door and walked back to her closet to get her own outfit ready. I grabbed her curling iron and turned it on letting it get warm as I got dressed. I stripped down to my underwear and took the dress off its hanger before stepping into it. Nancy was dressed in a matter of seconds in a pastel sweater and jeans. "Need help?" She hummed as she saw me struggling with the zipper. I chuckled and nodded. She smiled walking over and quickly zipping me up. Since Nancy was smaller than me size wise the dress was a bit form fitting but not uncomfortable. "Wow you'll definitely catch some boys attention in this." Nance joked pointing to my now prominent chest. The fitting of the dress easily formed around my torso making it more eye catching than usual. I rolled my eyes smiling. "Thats not the kind of attention Im looking for but I do admit... I look pretty." I smiled. She nodded in agreement and walked into the bathroom brushing her own hair and teeth. I hummed taking the curler and curled my hair. I pulled my now curly locks into a ponytail with a scrunchie that matched the dress. I curled my bangs slightly and turned the curler off. I pulled out a couple strands of hair to shape my face. Checking myself out in the mirror I smiled happy with my appearance. I began putting my shoes on until I heard the bathroom door open. "Ill wash your clothes tonight when I get home and give them to you tomorrow okay? You can keep the dress if you want." Nancy hummed from behind me. I turned to see her with my clothes in her arms. "Are you sure? This is a really nice dress Nance. You shouldn't give it away." I said softly. She rolled her eyes dumping the clothes into her laundry basket as i finished putting my shoes on. She grabbed her bag humming. "Yes Im sure! Its no big deal. Besides I never wear it and you're my friend. Its all yours. Keep it." She smiled and offered me her hand. I gladly took it and grabbed my bookbag and followed her downstairs. The smell of syrup filled my nose. I followed Nancy into the kitchen only to see Mrs.Wheeler frying some bacon. Mike was sat at the table looking at his eggo waffles in an empty stare. He seemed so sad and quiet. Holly on the other hand was happily picking at her food and giggling while Mr.Wheeler was reading the newspaper. Nancy sat next to Holly, grabbing a napkin and wiping her toddler sister's face. "Morning girls! Bacon is almost done!" Karen chirped happily. I smiled and took a seat next to Mike ruffling his hair softly. "Hey bud. Long time no see." I hummed grabbing a plate and placing a waffle on it. He jumped at the sudden contact and looked at me with wide eyes. "Francine? What the hell are you doing here?" He said with a smile. "Language." Ted said blandly. I chuckled grabbing the syrup. "I wanted to see my favorite dork." I joked. He rolled his eyes. "Seriously though? Why are you here? I haven't seen you in forever." He hummed grabbing a piece of bacon as soon as his mother set the plate down. I smiled grabbing my own piece of bacon. "I came over last night to finish some homework with Nancy. Sorry I didn't stop by your room to say hi." I said eating. He shook his head. "Its fine I was in the basement anyways." He stated. I raised a brow at him. "Were all you boys down there? I could've said hi to them. I haven't seen them in awhile either." I pouted. He shook his head. "No it was just me down there." He said quietly suddenly looking sad again. I was about to question him some more but I was interrupted by Karen. "Michael eat please.You haven't touched your waffle." She stated looking at him. He shrugged and got up grabbing his school bag. "Turns out Im not that hungry mom. Well I better get going. Sorry Francine we'll catch up some other time, maybe when the group is here." He hummed. I nodded and he ran out the door slamming it behind him. I looked at Nancy confused but she only gave me a sad shrug. We finished breakfast quickly and went outside currently waiting for Steve to come pick us up. "Whats up with Mike? Is he doing okay?" I asked looking at Nancy. She let out a sad sigh. "I dont know. Alot of shit happened last year and I guess he's still haunted by it." She said. I nodded slightly understanding. "The whole Will thing right? They thought he was dead, found some random kid's body in the quarry, and everyone thought it was Will?" I hummed summarizing what was all over the news last year. She nodded again. "Yeah. We held a funeral for him and everything. Turns out the government was just hiding some radioactive shit from us." Nancy stated. She looked like she wanted to say more about the matter but didnt say anything. "I thought Will is back and doing okay though? Is Mike still worried for him?" I asked. She shrugged. "Well yeah but its not just the Will thing. Like I said, alot happened last year. The whole radioactivity thing at the lab...Will...Barb...Its just alot of bullshit. Mike will talk when he is ready." She sighed. I nodded and frowned at the mention of our other friends name. "I feel awful Nance... I never got to say goodbye. I was so self absorbed in my shit that I didnt get to see her one last time." I sniffled suddenly feeling the urge to cry. She rubbed my back. "I didnt get to say goodbye either. I was such an asshole to her that night. I wish the whole night didn't happen to be honest. I miss her so much. She didnt even want to go to Steve's but I forced her to go. If anyone is self absorbed its me." Nancy frowned. I shook my head hugging her and comforting her as best I could. We stayed hugging like that until the small beep of a car horn interrupted us. "Sorry I'm late! We can still make it on time though!" Steves voice echoed from the driver side of his car. I chuckled letting go of Nancy and made my way to the backseat. Nancy composed herself and flashed Steve a small smile before sitting in the passenger side. "Ready to go?" He hummed. We both nodded quietly and with that he pulled out of the driveway and headed towards the school.