v. moments of revelation

EMBERS.
v. MOMENTS OF REVELATION
I'M NOT GOING TO HURT YOU. . .

GIGGLES ESCAPED THE LIPS OF 6-YEAR-OLD PRINCESS JASMINE as she chased her older half-brother, Prince Lu Ten, through the gardens of the Royal Fire Nation palace

GIGGLES ESCAPED THE LIPS OF 6-YEAR-OLD PRINCESS JASMINE as she chased her older half-brother, Prince Lu Ten, through the gardens of the Royal Fire Nation palace. Jasmine created a tiny fireball and threw it at him, but Lu Ten was expecting it. He quickly turned around and dissipated the flame - an easy task for a firebending master such as him. Jasmine stopped in her tracks, grinning up at her brother. "I almost got you, Lu Ten!"

"Almost, but not quite, little dragon," Lu Ten teased as he ruffled the young girl's hair, leading her towards the small pond that was located in the middle of their gardens. He took a seat on the lush green ground and Jasmine took a seat next to him. Lu Ten seemed deep in thought as he watched the tiny turtle ducklings swim around the pond, but Jasmine happily reached into her pockets and threw in some food for the animals. "Do you always carry around food in your pockets?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" Jasmine exclaimed, giving her brother a playful shove. Granted, he didn't move a single inch due to being much bigger and stronger than the young girl. Jasmine dug into her pocket and pulled out a biscuit and tucked it into Lu Ten's pocket. "There, now you'll never go hungry."

Lu Ten shook his head, but couldn't help the smile that reached his lips. He expected nothing less from his little sister. He could only imagine what the handmaidens went through when they cleaned the crumbs and food stains from Jasmine's clothing. "Well, you never need to worry about running out of food, Jasmine. You're the Princess of the Fire Nation! There will always be an abundance of food and tea in the palace."

"I guess so, but we always run out of egg custard tarts!" Jasmine complained as she tossed the remaining piece of bread into the pond - the turtle ducks immediately devouring the bread.

Lu Ten chuckled. "Yes, we always run out because you eat them all, Jasmine."

"Prince Lu Ten!" the frantic voice of a palace guard sounded as he ran towards them, immediately causing Lu Ten to grow tense as he stood. Jasmine slowly stood as she stared up at the two men, noticing the pale expression of the guard.

"What is it? Are we under attack?" was the first thing that Lu Ten asked as his hands drifted down to the sword that he wore by his side. Under Attack? Jasmine frowned, wondering who would want to attack their perfect family. Sure, Grandfather Azulon and Uncle Ozai were a little scary, but they were still good people. Jasmine hid behind Lu Ten's legs, staring up at the guard.

"We do not know yet," the guard replied, speaking in a hushed voice as he looked down at the younger girl - almost as if he didn't want her knowing. His skin was pale and covered in a thin layer of sweat, almost as if he had seen a ghost. Jasmine wondered what had happened to make the guard terrified. "Prince Lu Ten, Lady Zia has been poisoned."

Something was wrong with her mother, Jasmine could tell that much. She tugged on the hem of Lu Ten's tunic, trying to get her brother's attention. "Lu Ten, what's wrong with Mama?"