Chapter 16 - More Ties

After, we gave James the best send off we could, everyone getting their turn to say goodbye.

I had a lot to do today, I asked Maria and Peter to spread the message that a meeting will be held after lunch in the lecture hall and that it was mandatory.

It was two hours till then so I decided to go through my uncle's study/office. The room was located in the private wing. The west wing private and cut off due to it being where all official documents and security was located.

At the end of the furthest corridor was the study, the plaque on the door read 'James Thistle' and underneath it was a smiley face, scratched in by yours truly.

I ran my hand along it then swiftly opened the door, letting myself in. The room hadn't changed at all, his desk was clear of papers, his pens in a neat row and devices tucked to one side. The leather couch in the corner dusty as usual and the left wall filled to the brim with thick books.

Sitting in his office style chair, I scavenge through the draws, stopping when I find a packeted pile of photos.

Looking carefully through each one, I made a note of the faces I recognised, then stopped, this image different from the rest of the group photos of old James.

The image showed James in his youth, my parents, just as young, to the right of him and his bride to the left. I never knew he was married, studying her face I saw subtle features that seemed familiar. Small button nose, soft eyes and cupid bowed lips. She stood relaxed, a smile from ear to ear, one arm linked with James and the other placed on the belly. I didn't notice at first but in front of my mother stood a boy, he looked about 2 years of age, with blond hair and rich blue eyes his appearance identical to my mother, her blonde ringlets tied up and her pale blue eyes filled with concern she kept a smile.

Wondering where I was when this picture was taken, I placed the picture on the desk separating it from the rest and continued, the next image from the same night, this time the bride was stood more rigid the smile on her face seemed forced and her eyes stayed trained on the man with his arms wrapped around her waist. His posture straight with a sly smile spread across his face, his chestnut hair was gelled back and his eyes almost black, in colour, gleamed with evil.

His face familiar too, the bride, this man, the golden-haired kid, these faces like ones in dreams, the familiarity there but blurry and nostalgic, unidentifiable.

I separated this picture also and finished going through the pile. After I picked up the isolated photos, I folded the one of the duo and placed it into the pocket of my dress. Folding the group image I notice a note on the back, "Elouise Hills. Trust me" - J.

My name and a message for someone to trust the person who's initial is J.

I didn't understand, was James J? He was in the picture and his name began with J, but why write a message and keep it? Surely you would give it to the person that you intended to get the message. Does that mean he received this message from someone who also had a name beginning with J? My last questions, why was my name in the message? And why was it on this picture?

The questions swimming in my head, ideas and theories that didn't fit together, forming and breaking. I stuffed the picture in my pocket, for now, I had other pressing matters.

I spent the last hour searching the bookshelf picking out two brown books. These two looked older than the rest but had little dust on them, indicating they were used often. The titles read, "Demonology Vol. 1 - Physical Strengths" and "Demonology Vol. 2 - Mental Strengths."

Satisfied, I held both books in my arms and left the room, striding to the lecture hall. Inside everyone was seated, in the front row I spotted Peter, his baby blue eyes soft giving me a reassuring smile and thumbs up. I smile back then place my books on the desk on the stage. Being a lecture hall, there were enough seats to accommodate everyone and well as a teaching space on the stage upfront, as well as a microphone.

Scanning the crowd, I see no missing faces, in fact, a new addition, Eli. He stood in the back, staring at me with a smile on his face. His dirty blond hair, a distinguishing feature, helping me focus on him.

"I see that everyone is here, thank you for all attending, I understand that many will be mourning but I'm also sure many of you want answers, so I will do as best I can to put your minds at rest. After all, questions have been answered I have a few big announcements to make. Questions?"

Immediately hands fly up, I break Eli's gaze and begin answering questions.

"Yes, Kate,"  I say, staring at the red-headed teen.

"We've heard already about what happened from the squad that went with him, we know he died to the hands of some maid, who I expect is locked up in the palace."

I nod at that part, Ash assured me Jennie was well chained up in the palace prisons. "I have confirmation from a high up that the maid is, indeed locked up, and that a punishment will be issued when decided. I will have a say in what happens."

I get nods in response then let Kate speak again, "I'm sure that we are all wondering how you and Eli ended up at the palace?"

Without missing a beat I explain, "We were issued a mission that night, kill a pureblood at the abandoned manor, but there was another vampire there, Prince Asher Nightshade, after killing our target we were comprised by him and he took us back to the castle."

Another hand shot up this time a younger member, "yes Cooper."

"Um, hi Elouise," he waves, I wave back smiling at him, "I wanted to ask is it true that you married a vampire?"

No one seems surprised at his question, so they all must have heard of my relationship with Ash. "Yes, it's true, sweetie," I say looking at him, my eyes then turn to the crowd, "as of recent I joined Prince Ash, fist in line for the Nightshade throne, in union, he will be crowned at the end of the week, making me queen to be," I say head high but my nervousness clear by the ringing of my hands.

"That's so cool!" Copper exclaims.

"I agree that's pretty cool," Peter says, "congratulations," he adds clapping.

Suddenly everyone starts to cheer clapping, a few hollering and a symphony of congratulations. The pounding of my heart didn't rest, my eyes tearing and a shaky laugh leaving my body, my hands came to my mouth in shock. I never realised the support and love I was surrounded in here at the Institute but seeing the people I grew up with accepting my love to a vampire gave me hope.

With teary eyes I gazed at everyone, my eyes landing on Eli, still in the back, his eyes watery too.

I whisper, "in this shit together."

"Yeah," he says back.

Hope for a united future.
——————————————————
A lot going on this chapter, a lot in the next one too. So the people in the picture, the little boy, the bride and the man in the 2nd one, any ideas on who they are?

Hint: they've already been introduced and I think my bad writing skills have made it kinda obvi who they are??

Anyway next chapter out soon.

Enami out ;-)