Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dedicated to revivalwoedem because she's awesome. Check out her books!

Song: What Do Girls Really Want? - Lord Paper ft. Various Artists.

*Unedited* (Because I ate pizza and spring rolls today)

I had to make him keep thinking that he had broken me or whatever he was talking about. What kind of breaking did he mean though? Break my will? My neck? Heck, break me as in take my virginity? Kofi was one of the weirdest persons I'd ever met. If there was anything his stunt had caused, it had strengthened my hate for him. I needed to leave this place and bring an end to him and Justus' father. Most of all, I needed to get my family out of that toxic village. After that, I had no idea which direction my life will take, honestly.

It was Friday, a day before the auction. Kofi decided that I should talk with the prostitutes in order to learn something from them. Apparently, he'd sent word out that a virgin was going to be auctioned on Saturday and the information was received enthusiastically. Come Saturday night, I'd have lost my virginity to a stranger.

The thought didn't bother me as much as before, surprisingly. I wasn't the kind to decide that love was a waste of time just because Michael had broken my heart, but I guess knowing that the love of my life wasn't going to be the one to claim me made it much easier to give it away. I was sure I wouldn't ever love someone like the way I love Michael, and if I did really love anyone else after him, he would accept me as I am if he was worth my time.

Unsurprisingly, I'd chosen to spend time with Barbie, since she'd been the only one who was nice to me. I briefly considered Ginger, seeing that I might be rented by the woman who had her the last time, but I changed my mind. The thought was foolish even.

But Barbie had been in the bathroom for a while now. When I got to her room, her eyes were dull, almost lifeless. It was completely different from how vibrant they'd been when we first met. They'd brightened up a little when she saw me, and I felt joy knowing that I'd caused someone else's joy, which was uncharacteristic for me.

Perhaps I'd finally began to mature.

She told me to come in and she let me sit on her bed. After, she excused herself to the bathroom and she'd been there since. I'd began to feel worried after a while but I decided to give her some space.

But she was inside for too long. I felt foolish for waiting that long. What if she was hurting herself? Kofi told me that the prostitutes were actually broken, miserable people. I was sure that her demons had come back to haunt her, which explained her sudden bleakness.

"Barbs?" I called in a timid voice. I was baffled as to why my voice came out like that, but then I realised that I was just scared. Scared as in worried.

I walked up to the bathroom door and knocked. "Are you in there?"

Silence. Then, "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Just give me a minute okay?"

"You've had a lot of minutes Barbs. Let me in or I'll break down the door."

I heard her giggle. "Please, you can't."

"You want to try me?" I asked with a smile on my face.

She sighed. "I'm coming."

There was more silence for more than a minute before she finally opened the door. "Hey," she smiled, albeit sadly.

"Hey. Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine," she murmured. When she went to sit down, I noticed that she was limping.