Mixed Feelings

It had taken some time, but Ruby finally learned to accept what happened with Jaune.

She was upset of course, who wouldn't be? But she soon found reason to speed up using her semblance again, to go to the training room to improve, not just take out her frustrations.

And she found enough happiness to give a bounce to her step again. Why?

Weiss.

The two had been tearing each other's throats out over Jaune when he wasn't around, sometimes when he was. But just as Jaune predicted; when he had them stop gunning for him. They stopped fighting as a result.

The two had only grown closer since then.

They apologized right away, the two of them knew they were acting irrational, but there was nothing they could do to stop it. They used to love him after all. Key phrase: used to.

The two of them took their sweet time, but they managed to get over the blonde goofball eventually, it wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for each other's help, and they knew it.

So Ruby had begun to be even kinder to the cool heiress, doing whatever she could to compensate for all that Weiss had done for her.

She began to do as she was told, paying more attention to what Weiss said, and actually trying to learn more when studying. If Weiss wanted Ruby to get better and improve as a leader, Ruby would be the best.

It is currently eight o'clock at night, most of her team were in the dorm, but Ruby was still up studying, she needed to finish Ports assignment.

With her head buried in a pile of books, and at least three workbooks open to the side of her, Ruby was quite the sight to behold.

"Why do we have to learn the psychological nature of Beowolves? I can barely understand what humans are thinking, the Grimm aren't gonna be much easier."

"We must learn what our targets may be thinking if we truly want to be able to hunt them," A voice spoke up behind her, and startled Ruby. "Know your enemy, its rule number one, you dolt."

Ruby knew no other person that spoke using such outdated insults. "Still, don't we have better stuff to be learning about?" Weiss merely scoffed. "I don't understand how you managed to skip two years with that train of thought."

Ruby smirked. "Maybe it's that train of thought that made me skip to years in the first place." As Weiss sat down, she gave Ruby a hard stare. "Even if that were the case, which I doubt, there is still a lot that you have to learn."

Ruby turned away from the mess of books she had created to give Weiss a confused look. "I know that. There's always more to learn, we both need to keep studying if we want to become full-fledged Huntresses."

Weiss could only offer a rare smile to the small girl that had become a sort of protégé to her these last few weeks, the two had learned a lot about each other. Weiss found it hard to act cold towards the naive young girl.

"It's good to see you're not trying so hard to show off anymore." Ruby smiled at her mentor. "Yeah, it's also nice to see you acting modest now too, you're not so up-yourself anymore." Weiss would have gotten mad at the statement, but the huge grin on Ruby's face kept her from truly getting angry.

Weiss only sighed. "What am I going to do with you…"

It was night-time in team RWBY's dorm when Weiss returned from a long days training. She was exhausted after breaking the high score in the training facility; she was always the best after all.

Opening the door and walking inside, Weiss found that Blake and Yang weren't there. It was just Ruby up on her top bunk studying.

A small smile graced her lips when she realized just how important getting better had become to Ruby; there was hope for her yet.